Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What states allow hunting with dogs?
2 November 2021, 20:15,
RE: What states allow hunting with dogs?
Interesting comments from everyone. I can see the different sides. However, are people actually happier in these days of material ownership and consumerism? No, I don't think that is necessarily so. I don't remember the "mental health issues" that everyone seems to suffer from being an issue in my younger days; the level of crime was certainly not an issue, and the high suicide rate of young people today is horrifying. We have turned into a seething mass of unhappy, unfulfilled and generally aimless humanity. Not a pretty sight. Yep, give me the "old days" (hardships and all) anytime.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
3 November 2021, 03:35,
Don't worry, if you live for a bit longer you will probably have your wish.
3 November 2021, 12:56,
(3 November 2021, 03:35)Mortblanc Wrote: Don't worry, if you live for a bit longer you will probably have your wish.

I look forward to it.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
3 November 2021, 16:25,
Are you folks prepping for a SHTF disaster or for the fulfillment of your Jack Hargrove/Tolkien phantasy life?

Is SHTF the problem to avoid or the solution you crave.

Just remember that Tolkien looked back from the early 20th century and gave the 19th Century level of existence as ideal.

Jack Hargrove looked back from the late 20th Century and gave Tolkien's era, the early 20th Century, as the ideal.

Now you are looking back from the 21st Century and giving the late 20th Century as perfection.

Just remember he once said that in all those entry scenes where Jack Hargrove was leading his basket laden pony through the village the little beast would bite him every time it got a chance.
3 November 2021, 18:44,
Got to say I never took to Tolkien and his hobbits. I did try - classical literature etc etc - but too boring and long-winded. Who is Jack Hargrove?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
3 November 2021, 23:38,
Sorry I misspelled his name. It is Jack Hargreave I was referencing.

His Country Time and Out of Town series ran for 25 years idealizing the first half of the 20th Century in the British countryside.

As for Tolkien and the Hobbits, he freely admitted that they, and the Middle Earth they occupied, were based on the behaviors and attitudes rural people of the midlands during the 1800s.

Preindustrial farmers working in paradise. Growing almost everything you need, no money needed, everything you can not grow comes to you on a wagon, no crime, no intruders, and everyone lives a thousand years.

Post SHTF British rural life without the Golden Horde and all the dead bodies.
4 November 2021, 09:18,
pre the English industrial revolution (mid 18th century) everyone lived and worked in the rural areas, most in agriculture or in related trades, black smiths, farriers etc.
roads were little more that cart tracks and bridges were only suitable for a horse and cart, most people did not travel any further than the nearest small town and that was only on market day.
the population was less than one tenth of what it is now and there was no over crowding( not until people started moving to the new fangled cities).
people grew their own food, they ate what was "in season" and if it wasnt in season they didnt have it to eat.
Post SHTF will probably be fairly similar in Britain.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.