Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water Filter Project
28 November 2021, 21:04,
RE: Water Filter Project
Yea I'm all torn up over that 4 pound additional load!

I quit worrying about the differences in weights and measures long ago. It is too much to deal with exact conversions. That is especially true when you guys weigh things in Kilos but give your weight in stone and buy your petrol by the liter and measure your mileage in MPG rather than KM/L and use a 5 quart gallon with quarts that are larger than American quarts so your gas mileage looks astronomical until the conversion kicks in. Your pints and ounces are different too!

It might be strange to you but the US accepted the metric system back in around 1869, but the entire population refused to use it, and still does refuse. Only the drug addicts are capable of keeping up with amounts and value in grams.

I actually bought two cartridges as a set for the Berky but I am only using one. My demand load is not high and the system was easier to build with just one cartridge. The other is tucked away for use when this one stops working, ten years or so down the road.
29 November 2021, 15:09,
The food grade containers seem better to use, non toxic, so I may buy some online and make an improved version, but smaller, around 2 x 5 litre ones. It also works great as a portable filter system, easy to assemble/dissemble when going on camping/caravan holidays.
29 November 2021, 19:08,
If I were going for a small and compact system and ordering the parts on line I would opt for the big Sawyer system.

You can use it out of the box for most requirements, especially in a vehicle application. Uses a big bladder and you squeeze it through the filter.

Also will attach to 2L or small soft drink bottles and filter from those. Fill the bottle with water and drink through the attached filter. That is the way it is used by long distance hikers over here. Most of them no longer carry the old nagline or metal water bottles so prized by most of the British buchcrafters.

Or if at home epoxy a 2L bottle mouth on the bottom of a 1 gallon bucket and screw on the Sawyer, let it drip into a container.

That unit is only $40 US. Good for 500 gallons a day or 100,000gallons total life. They also make an adapter that fits a regular faucet tap so it can be used for contaminated utility water.
30 November 2021, 21:20,
Yes I already have something similar to that, but when I said portable I was meaning something that can be used on a flat surface like a caravan or camper van. The improvised set up using the food grade buckets would be perfect for that, as easy to transport and set up on arrival and vice versa upon departure.
11 February 2022, 11:41,
Well this is odd, came up on my YouTube recommend list:

https://youtu.be/l4xQOWQL-Ec
Ịn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!