Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiation Monitoring
30 May 2022, 09:33,
RE: Radiation Monitoring
nuclear power stations in the UK dont appear out of the blue, there is always a long planning session to go through, all the new power plants will be built where there is at least one already, hence the one being built at Hinckley Point in Somerset is now Hinckley Point C, A is already shut down and I think B is due to close soon.
when any event actually happens it is already too late to evacuate, the time to go is before it happens.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
30 May 2022, 21:24,
BP that’s simply not the case, if you are in an area that is showing increasing levels then leaving the area is the correct course of action. That’s why ionising radiation is not just measured by actual level but also by your exposure at that level. (Dosage)
If it’s too late to leave why did they bother evacuating Fukushima and Chernobyl.
I will be totally honest and state I am no expert in ionising radiation but I deal with potentially high levels of non ionising radiation on a daily basis. Yes it’s totally different but it does give you an appreciation of the potential dangers.
I do get where you and MB are coming from but not everyone has the option of a safe remote location, you guys are probably a bit ahead of the game but for those in a less than perfect location it’s handy to have info.
31 May 2022, 08:34,
leaving an area without having a known safe location to go to is being a refugee and survival rates would be low.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
6 June 2022, 19:21,
Joe, I hate to say it but you are being influenced by a need for history to support your beliefs and not actual history.

Fukashima, the area not the reactor, was subject to a tidal wave evacuation. Several hours latter there was a meltdown due to that tidal wave.

The population had been evacuated for some time before the breech. The water was already sweeping everything away in a massive, predicted and announced destruction through an area that had already been cleared.

People were not evacuated for the meltdown, but for the tsunami, and they were then refused permission to return due to the meltdown.

Chernobyl was totally different. There was a breech, and a couple of days latter TPTB evacuated the city.

Within weeks hundreds were dead. Workers at the plant were wiped out in a wave of deaths starting in just a few days. EVERY helicopter piolet that was dispatched to close the breech with loads of concrete died. Within months hundreds of deformed babies were born. For years afterward radiation related cancer deaths were occurring among the refugees.

It was only after the fall of the old Soviet Union that any of the numbers came out and they are still suspect. They were really not keen on keeping close count and notifying BBC.

We are about to see more deaths from exposure at Chernobyl, due to the recent invasion and disturbance of the contaminated soil at Chernobyl by the Russian Army. They did not even tell the troops where they were, they just said "dig".

And as I already said, the exclusion zone at Chernobyl is larger than the region of Kent, almost as large as Wales. So how big is the breech you are trying to blindly escape? How far do you run? And the danger zone is not all "down wind".

Even if you do try to escape "upwind" you have three stations on the west coast that could wipe out access to almost 1/4 of your island. But most importantly, they would sever your island, east to west, with their exclusion zones, and kill or expose anyone trying to travel north to south.

It is the hazard you face when trying to live on a small island with 11 nuclear reactors spread around strategically to do the most damage.

You are in a mad dash to do something, even if it is wrong. You simply refuse to believe there are some things you can do nothing about, or that the best "bugout" is the one done well before the tragedy, and takes you far, far away from home and family. There simply HAS to be something you can do to stay where you are until after the tragedy happens, then make a clean, quick escape.

You are better off going to the basement and staying there. Get some concrete and dirt between you and the source.
7 June 2022, 21:16,
Joe, I don't think it's a waste of time, those readings will give you some indication and indicate if you need to ingest your potassium iodide. I may buy one myself too.

In prepping, my personal view is to have as wide a spread of preps as possible. Sure if we get nuked most of the UK is going to be fked anyway, but what about a dirty bomb or spill over from a nuclear power station melt down? Aren't you in bonny Scotland? The mid to Highlands of Scotland really being the only truly remote area of mainland UK and the safest you can possibly be.

My personal view is balance as much as possible, yes I prep but I also refuse to live in fear. What if nothing happens and you've lived your life cowering in a cave? Maybe I can say such things as I'm perhaps a bit younger than some on here, being around the half century mark, but as much as possible, also live and enjoy one's life!
Ịn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!