Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Then and now - USA dudes.
20 March 2022, 18:25,
RE: Then and now - USA dudes.
Many thanks MB ! .
20 March 2022, 23:15,
Thanks MB an interesting insight into your neck of the woods.

Things are still pretty good over here.

I don’t watch prepper vlogs on youtube. I usually find out what I want to know from books, I do some research on the web, often using business websites.

In our area empty supermarket shelves are mostly due to just in time deliveries. Stores do not even keep 24 hours of stock as they can have several deliveries each day and shelves are continually being restocked.

If the stuff you want is not on the shelf it’s either in the delivery bay or on the next delivery wagon, we always ask a member of staff.

Yes some food prices have increased 10%-15% but you can usually find a special offer or an alternative brand.

Petrol prices are the highest I can remember, last top up I paid £1.64p/litre (of that 58p is fuel duty and 27p VAT), up from about £1.30p/litre.

No doom and gloom here apart from that caused by the media.
20 March 2022, 23:42,
MB fairly nailed it. Unleaded regular E10 blend is $4.09 per US gallon. Regular unleaded pure gasoline with no ethanol as is required for small engines and older farm machinery is $4.65, low sulphur highway diesel ~$5 gallon. Grocery stores have good stocks but reduced selection. Beef, pork and poultry plentiful, but expensive with prices up 25% over a year ago.

Best grocery bargains are in frozen seafood imported from UK.

Clothing selection in the big box retail stores is reduced and prices up 10%. Recently I bought some excellent quality shirts, waistcoat and tweed walking coat over the Internet from Ireland at lower cost, with prompt shipping and exceptional workmanship compared to name brand US goods at the mall which are all produced offshore in Asia, mainly India. Bangladesh, Vietnam or by slave labour in China. Have done likewise shopping in Italy.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
21 March 2022, 09:41,
Many thanks Charles !
21 March 2022, 19:16,
(21 March 2022, 09:41)Straight Shooter Wrote: Many thanks Charles !

As FYI, here is where I got my woolies
https://www.aran.com

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
21 March 2022, 19:18,
And this is the Italian outlet for hunting clothes I use:

https://www.brignoliarmi.com/hunting-and...thing.html

73 de KE4SKY
In
USA
21 March 2022, 19:36,
(18 March 2022, 19:15)Ajax Wrote: We got a couple of cousins here from across the pond, right?

Can you guys in the USA remember in the 90's (Iraq conflict) when gas prices went up to 2 bucks a gallon? Did you guys have a pay before you pump policy in some states - Cali, for instance?

I just found an old 90's pirate radio show that mentions it and wondered if any of you remember these times a bit better than me?

Anyway, all the best, guys.

look I am sorry if I started something here. I am not trying to get a UK vs USA thing going here - don't all of us have enough to be thinking about just now?
USA cousins, I'm sorry for asking here. I thought this was a place that folks who like to live could share experience. Perhaps I should just shut my pie hole and say good luck?

Okay, this is NOT real life - ffs I know this, okay. If I could only talk about half the stuff I have done and know! Gah!
SO ... I saw the A team filling up a helo with gas from a gas pump (that helo was piston driven and in theory COULD be filled up from a gas pump in a dire emergency ... it was staged for a TV show, I know that) but they filled up FIRST and then paid.

That was what I was asking.

Do you guys pay FIRST and then deliver gas or do you fill FIRST and then pay?

The only reason I asked is because of this pirate radio show, who seemed to make a big deal about 'pay before you pump' - like the gas prices were very high back in the Iraq war part one - $2.

I am very sorry that I asked a simple question. I am very sorry if anyone got ruffled here.
I see things. I hear things. My mind gets working on stuff. Sometimes I ask stupid questions. I do not live in the USA - how do I know if they pump or pay first? How can I find out? I see folks who say they are from USA and I ask an honest, simple, and quite probably stupid questions. If I do not ask the question, then HOW do I know for certain?

Should we try to verify information that we are not sure of? Yes or no?

Does that mean some dumbass Limey asks a dumbass question? You betcha!
If any USA bro has a question that they think may get shot down here - PM me. I DO NOT KNOW everything. I can take a good stab at stuff, however.

F*ck my old boots, I thought we were all here for the same reason!

No disrespect to USA dudes, you amazing dudes have very kindly put me straight. I thank you very much for your kind and very informative information. My question is now answered. I thank you for this input.
I wish you and your families the very best, no matter what we all may be facing soon. Thank you.
21 March 2022, 20:35,
(21 March 2022, 19:36)Ajax Wrote:
(18 March 2022, 19:15)Ajax Wrote: We got a couple of cousins here from across the pond, right?

Can you guys in the USA remember in the 90's (Iraq conflict) when gas prices went up to 2 bucks a gallon? Did you guys have a pay before you pump policy in some states - Cali, for instance?

I just found an old 90's pirate radio show that mentions it and wondered if any of you remember these times a bit better than me?

Anyway, all the best, guys.

look I am sorry if I started something here. I am not trying to get a UK vs USA thing going here - don't all of us have enough to be thinking about just now?
USA cousins, I'm sorry for asking here. I thought this was a place that folks who like to live could share experience. Perhaps I should just shut my pie hole and say good luck?

Okay, this is NOT real life - ffs I know this, okay. If I could only talk about half the stuff I have done and know! Gah!
SO ... I saw the A team filling up a helo with gas from a gas pump (that helo was piston driven and in theory COULD be filled up from a gas pump in a dire emergency ... it was staged for a TV show, I know that) but they filled up FIRST and then paid.

That was what I was asking.

Do you guys pay FIRST and then deliver gas or do you fill FIRST and then pay?

The only reason I asked is because of this pirate radio show, who seemed to make a big deal about 'pay before you pump' - like the gas prices were very high back in the Iraq war part one - $2.

I am very sorry that I asked a simple question. I am very sorry if anyone got ruffled here.
I see things. I hear things. My mind gets working on stuff. Sometimes I ask stupid questions. I do not live in the USA - how do I know if they pump or pay first? How can I find out? I see folks who say they are from USA and I ask an honest, simple, and quite probably stupid questions. If I do not ask the question, then HOW do I know for certain?

Should we try to verify information that we are not sure of? Yes or no?

Does that mean some dumbass Limey asks a dumbass question? You betcha!
If any USA bro has a question that they think may get shot down here - PM me. I DO NOT KNOW everything. I can take a good stab at stuff, however.

F*ck my old boots, I thought we were all here for the same reason!

No disrespect to USA dudes, you amazing dudes have very kindly put me straight. I thank you very much for your kind and very informative information. My question is now answered. I thank you for this input.
I wish you and your families the very best, no matter what we all may be facing soon. Thank you.

Ajax

I think you just activated a very old and ongoing narrative not personal to you. They all love each other really, I think??
Ịn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!
21 March 2022, 21:57,
Ajax
There is nothing wrong with our American brothers , they are alright ! And add to the forum .......

But I don’t think I could eat a whole one mind you .
23 March 2022, 17:52,
(21 March 2022, 21:57)Straight Shooter Wrote: Ajax
There is nothing wrong with our American brothers , they are alright ! And add to the forum .......

But I don’t think I could eat a whole one mind you .

I love our USA dudes.
I reckon they are fitter than a butcher's dog and have more AR s than we do.
I'd never even try it. lol

Aristocrats and bankers, however ...