Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food shortages
11 May 2022, 15:09,
RE: Food shortages
you are probably right SS, I am generalising, but the majority seem to fit into that category.
I have spent a lot of time with alternative communities, bikers and homeless people and they dont whinge and moan like your ordinary folk, they just get on with it and make the best of it. let them try bringing up 2 daughters in a "bender" on the Somerset Levels like one friend did then I might have some sympathy.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
14 May 2022, 18:34,
https://youtu.be/V9V0Wohv-rM
Ịn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!
15 May 2022, 01:16,
I am extremely thankful that at this very moment I am sitting here trying to decide what I want to have for supper.

Some things I want to eat I can not afford.

But at least then things I can afford are tasty and plentiful.

It could be worse, and I have lived through times that have been worse. That is why I store food. Not because I am crazy, but because I have had the hand of man and government turn on me on more than one occasion.

Right now everyone in the developed world KNOWS there is a coming food crisis. They can do something about it now, while there is still supply to put away, or just sit and whine about the news being depressing, then starve a few months down the road.

How little I care about the decision they make is beyond comprehension.
15 May 2022, 09:03,
We have for a long time been buying trays of a dozen tins ( you call them flats in the US ) as I have posted we have bought trays of spaghetti hoops £1.56 per tray ....we get 10% off that because the grandson works there ....if he came with us it would be 20% off ! Okay its not the best but it will get eaten ! . Just like you MB I see it over here ....people sense and see shortages the odd shelf empty at the super markets ...not getting the brand they want ....and they still hold off buying extra for the future...they still fail to grasp what is coming ....and when it comes they will try to do something then? ....when there is nothing to be had ....I do believe they have NO idea of the severity of what’s about to hit us all ! .....that’s one of the reasons why I harp on about keeping a garden to feed the household ....not a fun garden .....but a real food producing place where you run the show and eat what you sow .....no one will survive without a garden .....it is the centre point for us ...everything revolves around our garden , hives and now hens poly tunnels ,greenhouse and firewood . All in all it gives me purpose and confidence if nothing else .....it’s all down to our efforts and work to ensure some sort of survival .....then figure out how to hang on to it all .
15 May 2022, 09:31,
I dont see a food shortage in the UK in the normal run of things, maybe a hiccup or two in the delivery chain but not a full blown starvation level event, that would be more of a SHTF event maybe brought on by the escalation of the war in Ukraine maybe Russian extending the fighting and go into other countries bordering their own, Poland and Moldova have been mentioned.
People in Western countries especially the UK have had so much food to choose from over the last 70 odd years they have become lazy and indolent, they dont even know what a food "season" is any more and the amount of obese people one sees in the big cities and the larger towns has to be seen to be believed.
when I was unemployed a long time ago such things a Food Banks didnt exist, you had to feed yourself on the money you had, (hence my £40 per week including bills and I ran a motorbike on that too) these days they all go running to food banks with outstretched hands and expect to get, if they ever had to look after themselves they would be in for one big shock.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
15 May 2022, 16:46,
Here's one of your first hiccups Paul.

https://news.sky.com/story/food-shortage...e-12613442

already there are shortages of fish, the oil to fry them, and fertilizer to grow the spuds that go with them.

It will be like that in every fast food shop and if their main dish is not affected their sides will be due to agricultural shortages in one form or another.

All of those helpless take out junkies will be forced to cook! But then the theory is that they don't know how to cook either, and the gas for the hob is in short supply now.

I am sure you do not eat fish and chips, or have not in years, and never do take out, but other folks making up the bulk of your population do.

Good luck with that!
16 May 2022, 08:08,
its to do with Sunflower oil, 50% of the world supply comes from Russia and Ukraine.
fast food dosent bother me and the wife at all, and we havent had fish and chips for about 3 or more years due to the Pandemic.
Fertiliser will be a problem in the years to come for Farmers, not this year as they have already bought and used their supplies for this year, most fertiliser or at least the components for it seem to be imported from Russia.
I grow some of my own veg but I dont use fertiliser its more a problem for the agricultural sector.
there was a piece in the papers yesterday about a food bank that also gives cooking lessons , it may be the only one that does. cooking was never a problem for me, my mother taught me to cook before I was 12 years old but many of my friends and also their other halves cannot and its a problem in wider society which is why ready meals are so common.
16 May 2022, 18:54,
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61469532
17 May 2022, 23:40,
No vegetable oil or sunflower oil at my local lidl today. Completely sold out.
Ịn the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!
18 May 2022, 09:23,
(16 May 2022, 18:54)Joe Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61469532

people make me laugh, they trot out the word Apocalyptical every time there are ais a minor transport delay, or there is a minor power cut, wait till there is a proper Apocalypse and see them yell then. LOL.