Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is everyone coping in the heat?
21 July 2022, 03:48,
How is everyone coping in the heat?
Here in West Virginia we are having normal mid-Atlantic summer weather with daytime high temps of 30-35 degs C and cool nights 20-25 degs C. Up on the mountain there is always a breeze and while it is humid and muggy we view that as normal. Next few days we are expecting a heat wave where highs may reach 38 degs C, which is noteworthy at 400 metres above sea level.

We do have window A/C units in each of the bedrooms and in the living room which we run as-needed, but the ceiling fans get the most work at night when we open up the house to bring in the night breezes. At daylight we button up and set the A/C 9n an economy setting to cycle as needed to maintain the indoor temps at. 25 degs C.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
21 July 2022, 07:16,
RE: How is everyone coping in the heat?
Although we have unusual high temperatures at the moment can’t say it’s anywhere near normal for us over this side of the pond Charles , up till now we have had two record breaking days the latest 40.1 C ! ....we are not used to such high temps ....some wild fires resulting in some people loosing their homes .....it’s not our first rodeo ! However time will tell if these changes are temporary or a new normal .....most of Europe is in the same boat ! ....one thing is for sure .....more people will die as a result .
21 July 2022, 09:04,
back down to normal temperatures here in the sticks.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 July 2022, 14:25,
Yes, it's always better where Paul is. He is in a different England than the rest of you.

It was 38 here yesterday, but that is normal for this area.

I grew up in the "deep south" here in the US and temps of 40 were regular and normal. Yesterday places in Texas were at 47 and in some areas of the American SW temps of 50 are common.

Stay in the shade. Your house might be the hottest place available if there is no AC. Consider the cinema, a shopping mall, or the public library if it has AC as hot temp shelters. In the old days, before AC, shade trees were considered a necessity rather than something to fall on the house. We used to live outside because it was too hot to go inside. It made bushcrafters of us.

Drink more than you feel you need. Also consider a "sport drink" to replace electrolytes. You can sweat out a liter an hour while sitting still in the current temps.

If you are an old dude, like most of us are, when you have difficulty breathing, and feel like you are having heart problems in the heat YOU ARE!! Seek medical help.

Your body is stressed and needs help. The oxygen in the air has been replaced by water vapor. You can't get enough air into your lungs to stay alive. These temps kill old folks.
21 July 2022, 15:27,
I live in the relatively mild south west of England Mort, the highest temperatures were in the central core of the UK, where they had these 40C temperatures, whilst it was still hot here and very sticky and uncomfortable it wasnt as high as that.
the temperatures where I live have now returned to normal for this time of year. about 22C today a much more comfortable temperature.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
21 July 2022, 22:24,
I think it’s the best weather we have had in decades, I can remember the 70s being just as hot but we didn’t have the media telling us it was Armageddon.
Interesting how we are seeing as many fires when the vegetation is still green, I suspect this is more arson and media manipulation than climate.
24 July 2022, 15:01,
no, the vegetation is too dry, whilst some fires may indeed be arson most of them are caused by people being careless lighting fires and BBQ's where they shouldnt.