Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food prices
2 April 2023, 13:26,
RE: Food prices
average inflation is 9.2% at the moment but food inflation is around 15%.
I dont bother too much about prices, the only way is up as they say, prices very rarely come down and most food prices are low anyway, people just expect cheap food well it isnt going to be cheap for ever tha' knows.
meat prices have gone up but then we buy straight from the farm not pay supermarket middle men for crap second rate meat.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
19 May 2023, 14:09,
Although we have talked on this forum for ages regarding food prices raising ….and pretty much EVERY thing else , it’s still a shocker every time we go shopping …..prices are going up just about weekly ! And not just a bit it’s noticeably big , I have taken to carrying smelling salts with me to revive wild child , it gets embarrassing when she passes out! , I have even planted her in the trolley as a time saving measure, and the face mask hides the oxygen mask and the remarks of fellow shoppers as they pass by “ oh that poor lady” or “ she’s white as a sheet” or the best one “ that poor man…..she’s probably drunk! “ I gave them a glancing look and a positive nod of acknowledgment…..I sometimes throw in “ yes she beats me as well you know ! “ .
19 May 2023, 17:25,
(19 May 2023, 14:09)Straight Shooter Wrote: Although we have talked on this forum for ages regarding food prices raising ….and pretty much EVERY thing else , it’s still a shocker every time we go shopping …..prices are going up just about weekly ! And not just a bit it’s noticeably big , I have taken to carrying smelling salts with me to revive wild child , it gets embarrassing when she passes out! , I have even planted her in the trolley as a time saving measure, and the face mask hides the oxygen mask and the remarks of fellow shoppers as they pass by “ oh that poor lady” or “ she’s white as a sheet” or the best one “ that poor man…..she’s probably drunk! “ I gave them a glancing look and a positive nod of acknowledgment…..I sometimes throw in “ yes she beats me as well you know ! “ .

If she reads this you’ll be the one needing oxygen Smile .
20 May 2023, 01:13,
She only beats you because you need close supervision and discipline.

Or it could be due to you always choosing a trolly with a jittering wheel and it disturbs her shopping time nap.

Either way, you probably disserve it!

I am quite shocked that our prices over here have returned to a realm of unexpected sanity and leveled out to what could be called "expected". I am just glad I don't have a big table full of teenaged boys to feed like my Mom and Dad. We could pack some grub away!

My only real gripe is the price of bacon. You would call it "streaked belly meat" but we refer to it as bacon. It is the cheapest cut on the hog and sells for twice the price of a good pork chop! $10-$15 per kilo.

It has forced me to go to the extreme measure of purchasing a hog ready for slaughter. I am to fetch it home in two weeks, all cured, sliced and frozen. I Hope I have enough freezer space.

One of my friends has purchased a beef and we are trying to figure out how he is to get it home in his Subaru.
26 May 2023, 13:17,
Food prices will continue to go up. Despite me having enough to feed us for years I still purchase several trays a month over and above what we need to live and consider it for two purposes. Extra food and items for barter if necessary.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
17 February 2024, 22:42,
It's fair to say, food prices are only going one way and the era of cheap plentiful food, is coming to and end.
Green agriculture, fertilizer bans, restrictions on farm size and the pressure to reduce and end, dairy and livestock farming will all put pressure on prices.
Food rationing, that some in the green industry would like, was never a political option. But food reduction and reduction of consumption, courtesy of higher prices is !
It is a way of achieving the goal, without politicians taking the blame.
It is also a double whammy ! Ultra processed food accounts for the plague that is type 2 diabetes and associated conditions and the only response to a reduction of agriculture, will be an increase of processed foods and techniques used to produce it.
Atm you can choose to eat healthy, if you'll put in the work and pay for it but you may not get the choice at some point in the future.
Prepping will hopefully ensure supply but can it ensure quality ? Shelf life is paramount and processing, is the kiddie that is used.
Sure it'll keep you alive, instead of starving but all the preservatives might make you eventually wish you hadn't.
18 February 2024, 01:42,
There is an argument that the quality is better. You don't have to treat everything with chemicals to ensure it lasts until it reaches the consumer as it will be there in minutes. What modern farming adds is quantity not quality so others, not you as you will have your own, will be reliant on the government and we know how much they care. Just don't let anyone know you have it or it will be confiscated to share out.
Skean Dhude
-------------------------------
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change. - Charles Darwin
18 February 2024, 12:23,
grow your own, at least then you'll know the quality and what went into it as it grew.
modern food is ALL full of chemicals especially ready meals and biscuits, most stuff is processed and some of it is ultra processed, no wonder Cancer is on the up.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.