Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improvised Cook-spots
30 October 2022, 09:51,
RE: Improvised Cook-spots
it happens, especially when someone talks about blowing holes in metal with a bullet instead of using a drill.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
31 October 2022, 23:41,
We didn't have a drill or electricity, so improvised using the equipment at hand. A S&W Model 12 Aircrewman revolver with M41 Ball did the job on the ammo can, but was poor as a defense weapon. We used them mostly to launch flares to direct helos to a spot where they could drop their hoist through the jungle canopy.

73 de KE4SKY
In
"Almost Heaven" West Virginia
USA
1 November 2022, 10:20,
I'm sure there was a means of making holes in metal before we all had electric without resorting to using guns.
Some people that prefer to be alone arent anti-social they just have no time for drama, stupidity and false people.
1 November 2022, 16:51,
Yes, it was known, by me at least, as a hand held twist drill - and very effective they were. But we are still off subject!!
1 November 2022, 22:35,
We did a lot of cooking in the ammo cans.

Take the lid off and dump in a chicken or any other of the fixin's.

Cover with water, hopefully water that did not smell like an open sewer. (most swamp water does)

Dig a little trench about 10mm wide and deep, about a foot long.

Slice off a chunk of C-4 about an inch wide, place it in the trench and light it. We stayed on "fire discipline" most of the time so burning wood was not an option. C-4 burned smokeless and without light.

Sit the ammo can on top and cook until done.

Also works in reduced form using canteen cup, tin can or any other utensil. Even works with a steel pot but those are not around any more.

I was once caught in a 4 day deluge at a reenactment camp that soaked everything for miles around. We had plenty of food and no way to cook.

I jammed holes in the sides of a 3# coffee tin, dumped in 1/4 of an artificial fire log, one made from sawdust and wax. I sat a Dutch oven on top and cooked a big beef roast with the can for a stove.

Some of our kitchens at reenactment camps got really fancy. 6" long fire pits with ironwork hangers, grates and cranes with Dutch oven pits at each end.

Of course they were all outside, which would work well for long term applications even in suburbia. Even in cold weather cooking outside is an option.

You can even carry the coals from outside to indoors using any fireproof vessel as a brazier. A couple of concrete blocks on the floor will act as a fireproof hearth.
2 November 2022, 14:51,
I'm after the drum from an old washing machine to use as a fire brazier, not easy to get if you dont want to pay an arm and a leg for it.