Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future articles
6 June 2013, 12:52,
RE: Future articles
Yes please UKS got my saltpetre ready, and will be making my smoking shed soon, bring it on over pal .....now this is the stuff and reason I am on here! fresh air
6 June 2013, 16:01, (This post was last modified: 6 June 2013, 16:01 by Metroyeti.)
Bdg did an realy good post about making bacon?

Found it http://forum.survivaluk.net/showthread.php?tid=3016
"A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
6 June 2013, 20:43,
Did you know you can do a really nice sweet cure for bacon, using black treacle? I used to do it in France - it's quite good.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
6 June 2013, 20:46,
sounds good to me
6 June 2013, 21:17,
Who could say no to this,.. I am looking forward to your future posts as well
A major part of survival is invisibility.
6 June 2013, 21:26,
Do you want the recipe?
6 June 2013, 21:31,
Gimme gimme right now mary !
6 June 2013, 21:45,
O.K. here goes. This is a wet cure (as opposed to a dry cure!). You need:

Joint of pork loin or belly pork (deboned)
900ml of cold water
100g of cooking salt
2 good spoonfuls (tbs) of molasses or black treacle

Mix cold water with treacle and salt. Place pork in a container and pour over mix to submerge it. Keep joint under mix by weighting it with a small plate or something. Cover and keep in fridge or cool place for about 3 days. Doesn't have to be exact, but keep checking to make sure pork remains submerged.
After immersion, remove pork from mix and dry it off. Rub a further spoonful of treacle into the joint, making sure it is well coated and massaged to get the sweetness in.

At this stage I simply placed it back into the fridge to cool and firm up a bit. If you want it smoked, cover with butcher's muslin and smoke for a few hours over a low smoking fire. Do not use a hot smoker or you will "cook" the bacon.

That's it. Simple. We couldn't find decent bacon in France and this made a very satisfactory substitute. It also freezes well. I used to slice it up, keep some in the fridge for immediate consumption and freeze the rest.
7 June 2013, 21:02,
Many thanks mary will try it out once I get the work done on my cottage.