Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Tesco No Diesel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This one really caught me off guard.

I was running my tank as low as possible to see how many miles I got from the flashing fuel light. I got to 31 miles, felt a bit too edgy, and pulled into the Nailsea Tesco to refill last night after the gym. I got there and the diesel pump I pulled up to had a yellow tag on it saying out of use. As I looked around at which pump to go to, I realised not one of them was "Available for use" they were all out. I set back home hoping to go to Sainsburys before work tomorrow, but that's a fairly long drive.

My girlfriends dad suggested I go to Budgens 24hr petrol station. So I phoned to check if they had fuel, because I didn't want to waste any more. Thankfully they did!

In the end, the flashing fuel light managed 38 miles!

I'm not going to be playing that game again. It's regular refilling from now on, and also stocking up at home. Where I can.
(8 February 2012, 09:47)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]This one really caught me off guard.

I was running my tank as low as possible to see how many miles I got from the flashing fuel light. I got to 31 miles, felt a bit too edgy, and pulled into the Nailsea Tesco to refill last night after the gym. I got there and the diesel pump I pulled up to had a yellow tag on it saying out of use. As I looked around at which pump to go to, I realised not one of them was "Available for use" they were all out. I set back home hoping to go to Sainsburys before work tomorrow, but that's a fairly long drive.

My girlfriends dad suggested I go to Budgens 24hr petrol station. So I phoned to check if they had fuel, because I didn't want to waste any more. Thankfully they did!

I'm not going to be playing that game again. It's regular refilling from now on, and also stocking up at home. Where I can.

If you're really desperate, you can always stick vegetable oil in. Dump a load of red-ex in there too, helps it run a bit better. I used to run my Surf solely on veg oil in the summer.
my local garage ran out of diesel the other day, thankfully i use petrol. i have tried that trick before Scythe, but if you let the tank get that low you stir up all the muck in the bottom and its a heck of a job to restart the engine, nowadays i dont let the tank get below HALF full and refill at that point.
(8 February 2012, 09:47)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]This one really caught me off guard.

FFS !! You wont let me lay and rest in my sick bed will you. After a vehicle has been in use over 2 years sometimes less rarely more the bottom of your fuel tank becomes coated with a green black algae, water, sediments and particulates, You are going to wreck the seals in your injector pump, cause excessive wear to your injectors and if you are unlucky you will squirt uncompressable water into your engine which will blow your head gasket at best, or wreck your engine at worst.

NEVER go under a 1/4 full, especially if you use supermarket fuel stations that buy and sell the crappest grades of fuel they can find.

Its always worth occasionally adding a shot of fuel treatment into your tank which breaks up water globules and crap.

Right back to my sick bed.
I was pretty lucky with my diesels I've had. I ran them all out of fuel loads of time. When I had my toyota yaris 1.4d I used to run out of fuel at least once a week. My mates used to get really pissed off cause they'd have to come an bring me a jerry can (this was 11/12 years ago, so no preps)

Thankfully never any ill effect on any of the motors.
(8 February 2012, 10:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]FFS !! You wont let me lay and rest in my sick bed will you.

Sorry NR, but no rest for the wicked. Being Northern, that means you mate.

I'm selling my car as soon as I get my company car, so I don't want to run with a heavy load of fuel. Going to keep it low and let it have about £10 of fuel when I sign it over.

Need to get my boss to hurry up with everything about my new car.
(10 February 2012, 13:42)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]
(8 February 2012, 10:45)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]FFS !! You wont let me lay and rest in my sick bed will you.
I'm selling my car as soon as I get my company car

Huh

If it's all paid for etc, then I'd be tempted to hang onto it mate. Not sure about the company you work for, but not all of 'em like you using the company motor for personal trips etc. Plus what happens if you lose your job?
Depends what it is. If it's nothing special then keeping it under the new stasi regulations is more hassle than it is worth.
(10 February 2012, 14:16)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Depends what it is. If it's nothing special then keeping it under the new stasi regulations is more hassle than it is worth.

That's a point. Although I've currently got 3 motors, 2 off them completely knackered and off the road, but not insured. One of 'em still in tax too. Still, if they want to come an crush 'em they're more than welcome, bloody things getting in the way now
I'd have to keep the car up in Warrington.

I'm selling it for £500 I think. So that'll be okay.

The boss thinks I'm great, because I am. So he's not got a problem with me using the car for personal use. Same as the big big boss. Both like me and are happy for me to use it daily for personal use.
Pages: 1 2