Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Doubling up on equipment Car kit / Bug out kit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi

What is your thinking on doubling up on supplies & equipment across the different car and bug out kits.

I have completed my 72hr emergency car kit, which is well equipped. It could sustain me for 72hrs of the family of 24hrs.

I,m now looking @ sorting out 72hr bug out kits for each family member to be kept in the home

For me, it does not feel right doubling the supplies & equipment I already have in the car kit.

I would generally expect the car to be wherever I am and if we are bugging out it's most likely by car.

So to complete my home 72hr bug out kit, It feels that I should simply just top up the car kit and keep the top up in the house, nice and handy to throw in the car.

Or would you suggest a completely separate kits ??

Also I'm putting kits together for other family members. Should we each have identical kits [supplies & equipment] or plan to share. ie cooking, whislte etc. ??

Thanks

Phil
I voted not to but it depends on how much cash you have I'd rather have two of something than just one in a kit and pick up the wrong kit or find someone else has removed that it for some reason.
Your car should have the basics you need to get you home, there should one for each member travelling with you. Your car kit need not as comprehensive as you bob.
What i do and im sure a lot of other preppers do. Evaluate the trip involved for a trip local i take my EDC along with a small kit in the car already. But for longer trips i will pack the families bobs in the vehicle for each person going.
I'm all for doubling up.

When building a kit, I'm strongly in favour of having a 'write-off' mentality. If you put something in a kit, you write it off. It never existed as far as you should be concerned. You can't go rummaging through your BOB to get your mini stove for a camping trip. Once something is in a kit, you write it off.

If someone asks me about my kit in the car, I have a full BOB (soon to be moved into an ultra light kit), a full GHB, and a few changes of clothes, along with the usual car equipment, change of bulbs, a box of tins, first aid kit, a few extra litres of water, blankets, road salt, spade, and other things you should have in your car (common sense items). I also have the same in the bedroom of the house. Why? Because my car has windows that can be smashed. It is able to be stolen, set on fire, or something like that. It's better to have too much and not use it, than it is to have too little and need it.

At the end of the day, would you sleep better knowing you had a kit in the car and a kit in the house? If you're out and about and something happens that stops you getting inside your house, you'll thank me for getting you to double up.
In regards to you having the same kit in everyone's bags, I'd recommend getting interchangeable items.

Make sure everyone has the same style of camping gas lids. You don't want someone carrying screw top gas when you only have a straight click type cooker.

Standardise all the kit, and look to having 1 double up for every 3 bags.
Thanks for the advise guy's.

It's cleared it up in my mind which we to go :]
I'm for doubling, trebbling, or even quadrupling everything if funds allow.

You can always use extra to extend your comfort, but just enough will always be just enough and if you do lose your primary kit, it's going to be a huge relief to know that you (and your dependants) still have the wherewithal to cope... Even if it just means making sure that every person and every vehicle has an emergency blanket, a litre of water, a way to heat it, and a few Oxo cubes.
I am all for doubling up, breakages occur and often the article broken is an important one. I think that most preppers buy goods that are a necessity and because of this, a second or third should be added if possible. Kenneth Eames.
I have a few different bobs, I'm never happy with them they change frequently, car has blankets, lights, food, water, extra clothing, few tools, wind up radio bit of this and that, I'm never more then 1 hour away from home when driving, back pack bobs in case I need to leave home in a hurry with out my car, contains enough equipment, food water, small tent, stove and so on to keep us going till we reach safety, and then I have the major bob where if I see trouble coming and feel I need to go and might never be coming back, 6 flat under bed storage type plastic containers each with enough of every thing to last 1 month, not including water, large tent, folding toilet, seeds, every thing my daughter and I would need to survive for 6 months, if I could bug in I'm good for 1 year so far.