Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Excellent survival radio review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I found this review of the excelent little UV-3R radios that I mentioned in the Survival Radio article on the main site.

It fails to mention that the receiver on these radios uses latest digital technology and is extremely sensitive. Just using one of these to listen on the PMR 446 band you'll hear more distant stations tnan standard handhelds costing the same price can pick up.

Fo 30 quid it has to be the best value hand held radio currently available.

see: http://www.essexham.co.uk/news/baofeng-u...eview.html

They can even be simply programmed to meet the current UK legal requirements, but simply re-converted back to enable transmission on Ham, Marine emergency and military bands. A "how-to" article is being prepared for the main site, explaining how to do this.
Low cost ( £3.99) Fully waterproof and crush resistant housing

With the right antenna the UV-3R will fit into one of these waterproof little boxes, along with additional battery, and USB power lead:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Trave...461&sr=8-8
Just for info. I've ordered one of these and will be testing it with Lightspeed.
UV-3r 32Km range confirmed.

This link reports good contact at 32 km range ( 20 Miles) using the 2w UV-3r handheld what can be achieved with 2w power ( if you believe the poster that is!)

The whole thread is intersting to read. It gives a little insight into the CURRENT legalities of this radio...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UV-3R/message/2982
(15 February 2012, 11:15)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Just for info. I've ordered one of these and will be testing it with Lightspeed.

Good choice SD,

I look forward to testing the range of these devices with you.

Lightspeed.
Thanks to lightspeeds article in January I recently completed the foundation course for an amateur radio licence. For those wishing to obtain basic information on radio operation and becoming a licensed operator on the amateur band it is well worth the effort. I hope to be testing the 5r version of the 3r radio recommended very shortly.
Vardoman.
Looks pretty good.

I think it'll end up being on my to buy list, but not for a while.
Hi Vardoman,

Excellent that you've gained your foundation license :-)

Did you find the training and examination easy? I am trying to encourage as many people as possible to apply for a license. If you could explain how you found the process, I hope this will underline just how easy it is....... and of course once armed with a license, grey-area transmitters suddenly become completely legal to use.

Several of us are conducting wide area transmission trials this summer. If you'd like to take part, please PM me and we can discuss in private.

Well Done, on getting your pass, and thank you for sharing the news!

73 de

Lightspeed

(9 April 2012, 12:37)vardoman Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks to lightspeeds article in January I recently completed the foundation course for an amateur radio licence. For those wishing to obtain basic information on radio operation and becoming a licensed operator on the amateur band it is well worth the effort. I hope to be testing the 5r version of the 3r radio recommended very shortly.
Vardoman.