Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Living off grid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How many people drive that way every day. It wasn't exactly keeping his head down was it. It only takes one as destruction is much easier than construction.
(17 February 2012, 07:22)Reality Jones Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 February 2012, 15:36)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep but the trouble is we live in thieving england... would your tent n stuff still be there when you got home from work?

On my journey to work in the mornings I take junction 23 off the M5, just as you drive up the hill there's a guy who has been living on his own bit of land on the right and slowly working it with a digger, over the winter I have seen the arrival of pigs and chickens on the land as well.
The fella lives in a caravan on site while doing his bit to live off grid.
It's all coming along rather nicely... Or was until a couple of weeks ago when I drove past and noticed that his caravan had been burned down.
Now there are no pigs and no chickens and I haven't seen the bloke out there once in his digger. Accident or attack? I don't know, but it shows how easy it is to lose all you have worked for very very quickly.
up around Puriton eh! i know that area fairly well, may even know the field you mention, i expect it was some thieving git out of Bridgwater torched the caravan, not my idea of "keeping my head down", i would prefer somewhere within 20 miles of here, i know quite a few areas right out in the middle of nowhere, thats where i would go off grid if i had the chance.
(17 February 2012, 11:53)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]
(17 February 2012, 07:22)Reality Jones Wrote: [ -> ]
(16 February 2012, 15:36)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]Yep but the trouble is we live in thieving england... would your tent n stuff still be there when you got home from work?

On my journey to work in the mornings I take junction 23 off the M5, just as you drive up the hill there's a guy who has been living on his own bit of land on the right and slowly working it with a digger, over the winter I have seen the arrival of pigs and chickens on the land as well.
The fella lives in a caravan on site while doing his bit to live off grid.
It's all coming along rather nicely... Or was until a couple of weeks ago when I drove past and noticed that his caravan had been burned down.
Now there are no pigs and no chickens and I haven't seen the bloke out there once in his digger. Accident or attack? I don't know, but it shows how easy it is to lose all you have worked for very very quickly.
up around Puriton eh! i know that area fairly well, may even know the field you mention, i expect it was some thieving git out of Bridgwater torched the caravan, not my idea of "keeping my head down", i would prefer somewhere within 20 miles of here, i know quite a few areas right out in the middle of nowhere, thats where i would go off grid if i had the chance.

Yeh that's it 1/2 a mile from Puriton, maybe he wasn't trying to keep his head down, just do his own thing.
It wasn't what I would consider an ideal location either but maybe beggars can't be choosers and that was his only chance?
At the moment I'm working on a housing estate next to that lovely little Morissons depot.
I'm thinking somewhere in the middle of Wales, miles from anything.

That would be the most affordable land, and the safest place to bug out to.
I have a good friend with a farm in the middle of Wales, as soon as you leave the road and head down into the valley all mobile phone signals are lost, perfect peace and quiet
(17 February 2012, 19:50)Reality Jones Wrote: [ -> ]I have a good friend with a farm in the middle of Wales, as soon as you leave the road and head down into the valley all mobile phone signals are lost, perfect peace and quiet

SOLD!!! Only problem is.....I'd want radio signal. I went to uni in Lampeter, and you could easily lose signal when you left the main town/village.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of acres if possible, but that would be in a good few years time.
Pages: 1 2