Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Can you use your BOB and GHB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi Everyone

As requested, we now have the Fitness section! It's under the Medical banner/category.

Right, here is a very beautiful question that may upset a load of people. It's not an offense to anyone. So please don't take it personally. Also, only answer this is you have actually done it. Survival needs to work with facts, not opinions.

Okay, here goes:

In a SHTF scenario, those of you away from home, whether for your job or on a weekend away, could you grab your GHB's (Get Home Bag) and travel the distance to your home to get to your preps?

Alternatively, if you were at home and you needed to bug out, how far/long could you genuinely carry that pack for?

I know many people will say things like "I can carry my BOB for 100 miles!" and things like that. Unless that is a tried and tested thing, I hate to say it, but you probably couldn't. I've been checking about what people have in their BOB's and all that, and some of those bags are like

90lbs or more. I know that's a big weight and not all bags will be like that. But after a couple of miles, a bag's weight will increase by 10%-15%. Even a 45lb bag will be weighing 60+lbs after a good few days walk.

Let's not forget, after TSHTF, you'll want to bug out quickly, and roads may not be an option. You don't want to saunter or meander away from a hub of chaos. You want to shift like the wind.

So.....come on people, what're your answers?

Mine......
GHB, I can run a pretty good pace for 5 miles, with a little walking (tried and tested today through Bristol city)

BOB, I can move at an above average walk for 12 miles, minimum (tried and tested in January during my winter camp with Alybear). However, I don't think I could do that by myself. AlyBear was carry some of the equipment. All on, I could probably do about 8-9, but that's not tried and tested.
Even the paras usualy only cover 20 miles or so before fighting with a full 120lb pack. and as I'm sure your aware these guys are fairly fit....

Being an old Fartess carrying a lifetime of injuries, I walk at a comfortable pace for a sensible time period. I don't think distance covered is of consequence.
(11 March 2012, 19:58)mikebratcher69 Wrote: [ -> ]Even the paras usualy only cover 20 miles or so before fighting with a full 120lb pack. and as I'm sure your aware these guys are fairly fit....

I used to go down to run the Beacons now and again at uni, and we used to see them running up the hills and jogging back down. I used to be able to run with them, but not with the same size kit. My kit was only about 30lbs.

In my first year at uni I was super-fit! My resting heart rate was a little below 50bpm (beats per minute), which is not far off Tour-De-France cyclist Lance Armstrong, whose was as low as 42bpm (that's nearly 20% better than mine, so it's actually still a HUGE difference haha).

I used to wake up and run an 8mile circuit every morning, with a small pack, then off to lectures after food and a shower, then after lectures, go to the gym or go swimming, then it would be time for a night out, dance all night long, then back to my room for some sexercise, or a small workout with dumbells that I used to have, then sleep. Wake up and repeat the process the next day! I look at it and am genuinely amazed that I used to be that fit!!!
(11 March 2012, 20:09)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]Being an old Fartess carrying a lifetime of injuries, I walk at a comfortable pace for a sensible time period. I don't think distance covered is of consequence.

I respectfully disagree.

If there is civil unrest, you'd want to get more than a couple of miles from a city centre. If, like BP, you live in a village, you'd need to get a couple of miles outside of the village, at least.

I'd say a good starting point would be 6 miles.

We each must play to our strengths, yours is running fast to escape quickly. Mine is being a sneaky b**ch and evading trouble. Even if speed is of the essence, there is no point in attempting a quick escape on foot if you are physically incapable, you have to work smart instead.
(11 March 2012, 20:32)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]We each must play to our strengths, yours is running fast to escape quickly. Mine is being a sneaky b**ch and evading trouble. Even if speed is of the essence, there is no point in attempting a quick escape on foot if you are physically incapable, you have to work smart instead.

There's a lot to be said for smart! Smile

There's no reason why you can't have both.

I'm smart, but sneaky too.

Having fitness is an added bonus.

Strings to the bow ;-)
(11 March 2012, 20:58)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]There's no reason why you can't have both.

Strings to the bow ;-)

That's what I saidSmile

(11 March 2012, 21:46)TOF Wrote: [ -> ]
(11 March 2012, 20:58)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]There's no reason why you can't have both.

Strings to the bow ;-)
That's what I saidSmile

Fair enough.

In all honesty, do you have a BOL? If so, have you tried to bug out to it with full pack?
Yes and yes. In fact I have 3 BOL distance 4miles, 7 miles and 13 miles. These are a last resort. I plan to Bug -in if possible. For short term bug out (chemical spill or somesuch) I'll walk to next village and catch a bus for town and stay in hotel.
Pages: 1 2