Survival UK Forums

Full Version: newspapet log maker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pretty crap!! I have one and friends have had them. Everyone tried them and soon relegated it to the back of a shed or cupboard. It is a practical way of making fuel, but compared to other fuel methods, it is much more labour intensive. The paper briquettes refused to dry out through the winter in an outdoor shed. I had to put them by the side of the wood burner to dry out. This worked but was just another extra stage in the handling process. The briquettes do not last as long as a similar sized piece of wood to burn.
It is far more efficient to go and collect wood and cut it up for burning. Where the paper log maker does have an advantage is if you can not get a ready supply of wood and you have plenty of paper to use. Then it is a practicable method. Also, you should not put glossy type magazine paper into the shredded paper mix. It releases chemicals on burning and also does not bind as well in the paper block.
If ever using the briquette maker again, I would try putting a tiny amount of PVA glue in the paper mashe' mix. I think this will bind the paper better and prevent some briquettes splitting apart. Also it should help the burn slightly.
I tried a few times mixing in fine sawdust with the paper mix, but it caused the briquettes to not bind properly and some blocks came apart. I think under higher pressure, then this might be effective. I consider using a hydraulic bottle jack into a sturdy steel mesh box, instead of the flimsy lever affairs, might result in a much better compressed briquette.
Anyway - only recommended if no other viable source of fuel is available. Could be handy as a back up but the cash may be better spent elsewhere. Just my opinion. Regards, TL.
2 years ago, these paper block makers could be bought on ebat for £13.99 postage free
Check ebay again. AlyBear's dad has one and got it off there for £5.00. The logs are made from soaked strips of newspaper (basically paper mache) and compressed, then left out in the open to dry or can be heat dried/baked. So it's not instant.

Really, what would be better is thinking 'what would I use it for?' The answer is to make logs for a fire. But if you're using it after TSHTF, you'd be better using the newspapers as toilet paper.
In one of doomsday preppers episodes someone made one of these out some waste pipe, and used a bottlejack (as they're called over there) to compress the paper/water/dry leaf mixture into little rounds.

still, I'm not sure it's worth the effort unless you have some teenage children as they did.
I think it's an awesome idea, but in fairness, I believe that it would prove to be like that toasting machine sat at the bottom of the cupboard. It's great for a small time, but it disappears from favour very quickly.
had one of these back in the 70s, they're pretty crap really, the paper never seems to dry out enough to burn.
Wow that was shot up pretty quickly then.... I was considering it but now I think not...
Thanks for the reviews guys, won't bother getting one then Smile
Good idea but total rubbish, now if you had a 10 ton press then maybe it might work in getting all the water out.
Wow. Well shot down.

My issue with it isn't the blocks and water it is after an event I won't be getting many free papers and as much junk mail posted through the letterbox.