Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Long term water purification
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Long term water purification.
What happens if the water goes down for years and no one is making water filter replacements any more. Do you have a plan? I have been looking around trying to find something affordable to give me clean water. I have access to a river about ¼ of a mile away plus rain water and intend to put in a small pond. But long team water purification is a problem.
There is the sand filter system using 3 foot of sand to pass water through. It filters water to get 97% of bacteria but that’s not 100% .

Then there is this:
http://www.berkeyfilters.com/
It’s a big outlay but apparently the filters will last up to 10 years.
What are you guys planning to do?
Save a fortune and make your own, two plastic bucket or tub that are food safe, one plastic tap and buy a few sup ser ceramic candles from Avonsoft and make your own filter.
Or just get the kettle on.

Get a big metal bath tub, and get the fire on. That'll sort the bacteria.

Beyond that, it'll be rainwater and the alike.
You miss the point S13, this device cuts your fuel usage by 50%, Instead of cooking food then having to heat water as well you can do it all at once, so if TSHTF and you are cooking off a stove or bottled gas supply your fuel will last much longer.
We used to do twofers in the army IE cook a meal in its tin by heating it in a mess tin of water heated on the hexy cooker.
On do it the way nature does. A big sand filter. Plans are on the main site.

This is so important and we can't rely on technology we have to go back to basics.
(27 March 2012, 12:18)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]On do it the way nature does. A big sand filter. Plans are on the main site.

This is so important and we can't rely on technology we have to go back to basics.

Sand / charcoal / aerobic filters are great but they dont heat the water.Smile
(27 March 2012, 12:12)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]You miss the point S13, this device cuts your fuel usage by 50%, Instead of cooking food then having to heat water as well you can do it all at once, so if TSHTF and you are cooking off a stove or bottled gas supply your fuel will last much longer.

I'm even more confused now. A sand filter doesn't heat water up. Are you mixing threads up NR? I saw that coil one before, but that wasn't this thread mate.

I'm all for rocket heaters anyway. Although not in my BOB (for obvious weight and size constraint reasons) I'm still learning to make a full sized rocket heater (screw the rocket stoves, they look annoying. But that's just opinion and I'm sure they are awesome). Skills to be learned!
Yup I'm mixing up threads, apologies, I'm going senile
(27 March 2012, 13:14)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]Yup I'm mixing up threads, apologies, I'm going senile

That's okay mate. It's as your 'signature' says, you can multi-task still, so it's not all bad haha.
Pages: 1 2 3