Survival UK Forums

Full Version: GHB almost complete
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone

Just thought I'd give you all an update on my 'bags' that I'm setting up. In particular....well actually it's exclusively.....my GHB (Get Home Bag).

My GHB needs only 1 item until I'm happy with it. That is 1x Scythe13's Poncho System. Other than that, it's good to go.

Please note that this bag is to get me home and survive for about 3 days.

Contents:
1x Bag, CamalBak Mule
3x Litres Water, in the bag's Water Bladder
1x Pair Vibram 5 Finger shoes
3x Space Blanket
1x Emergency Shelter
1x Flashlight
4x Batteries for Flashlight
1x FAK
2x Energy Sachets (sports drink mix that gives you energy for a couple of hours)
3x Caffine tablet packets (think Pro Plus)
2x Recovery Sachets (sports sachets to help recover from a harsh workout, or a massive long run in this case)
5x Chocolate Bars (I mean the big ones, Cadburys special offer £1 big bars)
1x Knife (Might increase to 2 knives + 1 Sharpener)
1x Dust Mask
A selection of tampons and other womens sanitary items.

To this pack I will be attaching a small 'drop bag'. The idea of a drop bag is to contain items that you will need and carry with you, but the bag itself will be....dropped. The drop bag will be a change of clothes, gloves, and that kind of thing. In the bag I'll also have a small bumbag (not cool, but it doesn't need to be) and in that I'll have a couple of clothing items, and maybe a small radio. Again, the idea of a drop bag comes into play, I can drop the bumbag if I need to, so I'm okay if the fashion police come calling.

Any criticisms and the like, please feel free. The whole idea of these forums is to help each other. So please feel free to call me insane or whatever. But please note, this bag is simply to get me home. I don't need to sleep comfortably or anything like that. I just need to be able to travel and stay alive for a couple of days.

Ideas, criticisms, 'well dones' and anything else are appreciated.
i hope you carry a personal survival kit (tin) with you at all times and a must is a sharpener
also just some extra clothes to keep warm trouser, jumper and coat tired together with rope
keep it simple and i would add 9 pouches of food
(31 March 2012, 18:28)grumpy old man Wrote: [ -> ]i hope you carry a personal survival kit (tin) with you at all times

I've never been into those. They always seemed a bit odd to me. I'll have my EDC, which will have a compass and those kinds of things. But the tins have always seemed a bit....quirky and fadish (like a fad). I can't see what uses they will have in a 3 day expedition.

(31 March 2012, 18:28)grumpy old man Wrote: [ -> ]a must is a sharpener

I admit that. I'm really thinking about that one. I have a nice S&W Search and Rescue knife which has a stone with it, so I may be adding that to my drop bag.

(31 March 2012, 18:28)grumpy old man Wrote: [ -> ]extra clothes to keep warm trouser, jumper and coat tired together with rope

Got that in my drop bag. It'll have a waterproof jacket, thermals, and a change of underwear, as well as trousers, tshirt, and hoody. But I only plan on needing my GHB for 3 days. Even though I'll be rocking the same clothes (except boxers) for 3 days, I'll be able to get back home. I might be smelly, but I'll be back home.

(31 March 2012, 18:28)grumpy old man Wrote: [ -> ]add 9 pouches of food

Not sure what you mean by pouches of food. MRE's? If that's what you mean, again, I go back to the 3 days thing. I'll be living off stimulants and chocolate. To anyone that's been to a big festival, you'll know how much energy stims and chocolate hold.

One thing I forgot to mention is I will have my EDC with me, which has fire making capabilities and the alike.