Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Kids Bug out bag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi,
What should be in a young kids Bug out bag.

obviously it must be age and strength related. Once they get stronger they can carry much as their parents but at an earlier age what is apropriate ?

The parents will carry the cooking equipment, food tents shared by the family unit and there own cloths.

So the kids [say upto 10/12], just carry there own cloths. Anything else. Tents, Cooking equipment would be toooo much I would say.

Their own basic stuff that you have selected. Food, water, clothing, a hand radio. Plus tools that they have been trained with if they get separated. Then depending on many factors a notebook with some directions in to a safe RV. One you can overlook and recon before you go in. If they have any spare capacity after that ofload some stuff from your scout to lighten their load.
Best thing for kids is to look into ultra-light equipment.

I'd massively recommend a few basic items:

Waterproofs (I love Ponchos that can convert into tents)
Food
Water
Compass
Mirror (for signalling)
Map (if they know how to use them)
'Click Heat' warmers
Thermals

Those will be enough to keep them alive if you all get seperated. Obviously you don't want anything to happen, but it's always best to prepare for it.
give them everthing to carry
lol
thanks, that all helps to focus the effort in the right palce
Just think about it in this way, if you got seperated, what would you want them to have on them? And, along with that, what do you think they would need to survive a couple of days/nights alone?

I know that's not as clear as my first post, but I hope it helps get you thinking along a more secure mindset for the kids.
There are a few ways to look at this, most important we cannot survive on a BOB content, this should take you to thinking cache, the only reason for the BOB is to allow you to reach your cache 1, to re supply to cache 2 if need be, remember what it means to use your BOB you have lost everything you prepped for.

Only cache is left so prep cache, many claim to do this I doubt half really do just net talk, don't fall into this trap, BOB without cache equal death.
(8 April 2012, 01:14)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]There are a few ways to look at this, most important we cannot survive on a BOB content, this should take you to thinking cache, the only reason for the BOB is to allow you to reach your cache 1, to re supply to cache 2 if need be, remember what it means to use your BOB you have lost everything you prepped for.

Only cache is left so prep cache, many claim to do this I doubt half really do just net talk, don't fall into this trap, BOB without cache equal death.

With respect Wet & cold, I am sorry I do not agree! You have ended up with the mindset of having Caches to get you through & therefore that your BOB does not need to have all you need to survive for an extended period. The major flaw with this - is that if you can not reach any caches for whatever reasons - then you are screwed. Bigtime! A BOB is not just to enable you to get to a cache, well not for many many other preppers anyway. We prep for the possibility that we will not be able to recover any caches, nice if you can, but what if you can't. Maybe you are swept along in some type of enforced evacuation. maybe a big natural disaster makes visiting cache sites untenable & you have to get out of dodge quick like. For many of us, a BOB may well contain the only items we can walk out of a disaster area with. this means that inside the BOB must be not only your most prized useful assets but also the necessary basics to get you by until you can resupply or scavange/trade for replacements further down the road. It also has to be carryable.
You are right that you can not survive (longer term) on the contents of a BOB, but it should contain the items that increase the odds the most + a certain amount of food etc. I do not think a BOB is ever envisaged to last forever, it is a means to an end and having the skills & knowledge to fill in the gaps is more important than concentrating on caches or home supplies. If you are cast out or raided of everything, then that will be the true test of survival.
I respect your view of having caches, but I am noting that this is not something we all count on in relation to bugging out. Safe travels, TL.
everone views a bug out bag differently i think, you can have a grab bag which would push you over until you are resupplied and a bug out bag i think is what you use when you don't know how long you are going to be yoyo a grab bag gives you that bit extra
you as a survivalist of any kind thinking you need a bag should work off your plan which should include how long will you need to use the contents, have you got supplies put away that you can reach and pack it for that then its your escape bag/pack/system everyone needs different things.
if you need more detail on this subject ask me and i'l waffle more about it
I would have thought a BOB was designed to get you to your BOL which is within a 3 day ish walking distance hence 72hours, with caches hidden along the route or at the location to keep you going long enough to wait out the event and see if you could return home.
Pages: 1 2 3