Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Lightweight tent
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Check this out for an awesome & lightweight tent. Less than 1 kilo packed. That is about the same weight as a 58 Patt poncho. They do a 2 man version too. In fact, look at the whole website, it is pretty interesting.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/terra-nova-laser-...-3053.html
I was looking into a small UL tent, but then I saw a couple of issues with them, and not just the price.

My issues:
1. Cost.
The good UL tents are all around or over the £200 mark! Think how many other preps that could buy!
2. Take down and repacking time.
They're pretty quick to set up, but to put back into your pack, could be a problem in a fast up and off scenario.
3. 360 Degree blind spot.
Once you're tented, your 100% approachable from all angles. If you don't hear them, you're in trouble.
4. Suitability.
They're great for late spring, early autumn, and obviously summer. But come winter, the poles can become brittle if it gets really cold (not all do, so this not count).
5. Bag Shelter.
The small part for your bag is for UL size bags. A normal pack would need to be waterproofed and kept outside.
6. Weak material.
Many, but not all, of the UL tents have flimsy material, which I'm going to rip.
7. Size.
If you're 6 feet or more, or is you're quite wide (shoulders or waist) you'll be in for a snug night.
8. Versatility.
Bumps, lumps, humps, and things like that do quite limit where you can take them, as with all tents. Don't forget the weight of the tent pegs (some companies do include UL pegs), and the hassle of pegs in stoney ground.

Having said the above, there are some very good points to them.
1. Cover.
They provide more cover than a poncho or bivi.
2. Exitability.
They're fast to jump out of, if you're not in a sleeping bag.
3. Speed to set up.
It's faster to stick a pole through some loops than it is to string a basha.
4. Weight saver.
Yeah they give loads of shelter for what little weight they have.
5. Space saver.
Same as weight saver, but change weight for space.
6. Kids kit.
This is the kind of thing a kid can carry and would be good to have in their kit if separation is considered after TSHTF. It'll give them their best chance of shelter.
7. General pre-SHTF camping
This is an ideal piece of kit for before TSHTF! Great solo camping item.
depends what you want it for, for post TSHTF or GHB use i bought a couple of plastic emergency shelters, pack up small and very light, 8ft X 5ft when opened and cost just a few pounds on ebay.
yes, I agree. I thought I would post it up, it might be ideal for someone. Have you checked out the rest of the site yet? Some nice stuff on there + links.
yes, not a bid site, try also http://www.military1st.co.uk is where i got my round US style water canteen £6.99!
I have a Gelert Solo that has been surprisingly good for its price. £35 from Surplus and outdoors. I read that the small pole is liable to break, so I cut an inch out of it which has put it under a lot less stress and still supports the tent nicely. It is 1.5kg and packs quite small. The only down side to it that I have found is having to weather proof my rucksack and leave it outside. But for £35 I can live with that.
(15 April 2012, 02:00)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ]Check this out for an awesome & lightweight tent. Less than 1 kilo packed. That is about the same weight as a 58 Patt poncho. They do a 2 man version too. In fact, look at the whole website, it is pretty interesting.

http://www.rvops.co.uk/terra-nova-laser-...-3053.html

Bit pricey if you need to buy like 7 of them, I got a parcel today which I can’t wait to test out, and then mod it into a sleep system for me and all my family, maybe total cost could be under £200 for sleep system each for 7 people.

I should add these will be summer sleep systems.
Halfords is selling a four man tent for £99 pounds in our local store. tent, Double blow up... Oh, beds and pillows.