Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Petrol Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have some 20 litre oil drums in the garage. The type that garages sell for an extortionate price in case you run out of home heating oil. I would like to fill them with an emergency reserve of petrol. They would be safely and securely stored away from ignition sources and children. My question is, how long could petrol be stored for in this way before it is ruined? Anyone else storing fuel?
If you are storing petrol for any period of time you need to add a fuel stabiliser which should make it good for over 2 years. Without a stabiliser they recommend no more than 3 months

Be careful how much petrol you store and in what type of container as there are (as usual) rules concerning it's storage. In metal containers it is a maximum container size of 10L and you can store a maximum of 20L, in plastic containers there is a maximum container size of 5L and you can store a total of 10L, and I think it also needs to be in approved containers.

You are able to store loads of diesel though, and it stays "good" for a lot longer Smile
Thanks for that info. Diesel may be the way forward then.
It probably is. A lot safer to store too.

I have to store some petrol for my genny but in retrospect I should have saved up a bit more and got myself a diesel one, not that I've had any problems with mine but diesel ones are generally more reliable and the additive for the petrol adds roughly another 20p onto the price of a litre of the petrol
Yeah, a diesel generator would be hardier all right but better a petrol one than none at all.
and you can make fuel for many diesels from vegetable oil. Petrol will take a lot of processing gear and knowledge.
There is a thing called The Petroleum Regulations and a copy of these has to be posted up at every retail outlet that sells petroleum spirit (gasoline). As I understand it the max you can store (petrol) is 20 litres at home in an outbuilding - not in the residence. In the vehicle the max is 10 litres outside the tank in the vehicle (I stand to be corrected on this one) and it should be in an appropriately marked container(s). Please note that these are Petroleum Regulations and may not necessarily apply to diesel (derv).
BUT:- I have recently contacted the powers that be where I live on this subject and it would appear that the County Council (the enforcers of these regulations) is applying the Regulations to cover diesel in the same way as petrol. If our lot are doing this then I would think that the others are as well. The argument was 'common sense and safety' which I personally will not argue against in this particular case. In any event please be careful with this stuff as both items can be explosive - that is why they are used in the engine to make it work!!?
Good advice and duly noted. I've since had a rethink about this and done some research. Diesel is definitely the way forward for both vehicles and generators. It's more stable to store, less combustible and longer lasting. Petrol is volatile and can ignite at the whiff of an ignition source. Storing 20 litre drums of petrol would be madness.
(12 October 2011, 12:09)sc1 Wrote: [ -> ]Storing 20 litre drums of petrol would be madness.

Storing 20 litre drum of petrol without taking precautions would be madness. People store more than 20L of petrol all the time with no issues. garages store thousands of litres and when did the last one blow up?

Diesel though is much safer, it is more versatile and cheaper. However, if you have a need for petrol that is what you need to store. Just make sure you store it right.

With regard to garages blowing up
The vast majority of garages/filling stations store their product underground in specially constructed containers. If I am correct the tanks are double skinned and these are contained in a reinforced concrete concrete box. The tanks are connected to the pumps by underground pipes with a system of one way valves. The electrics to the pumps use special fire resistant cables which are installed by specially certified electricians. Before being certified for use they, the tanks and pipes, are subjected to pressure testing. All filling stations have to have fire extinguishers readily available to the public and staff. The only tanks that I have ever seen above ground were for diesel, heating oil and paraffin and these were mainly fenced off from the public and locked up. I do believe that some LPG tanks are above ground but they are subject to regular inspection as indeed are the big bulk tanks used in domestic supplies. Regular stock control procedures are in place at most sites (if not all) for the early detection of leaks, theft and pump malfunction.
If I have to state a preference then I would go for diesel - for the last sixteen years I have run only with diesels. I have one five litre can of petrol in the garage and this is for the grass cutter and a small ancient genny that gets used now and again. If I had to store diesel - I do not at the moment - I would have four 5Lt cans and a fire extiguisher near to hand, not with the cans but near to them.
Pages: 1 2 3