Survival UK Forums

Full Version: ticks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
if you are camping or sleeping ruff or even walking in the country ,check your self for ticks they carry limes disease not nice at all
but if you find one on you do not pull it off if you do it leaves its jaws in you and basically is sick into you along with the limes disease you can buy small wedge like devices witch slide under and around the jaws you then twist and they come off all intact
i have seen them on e-bay and bush wear but i got mine from the british deer society

b/d
With ticks, I heard that if you covered them with nail varnish or some kind of paint, it stopped them breathing and they detached naturally.

Also, I heard burning them with a cigarette got them off you (but that might be leeches).
vaselene suppose to make them drop but i would get them off quick and easy tick pullers are the easiest ive tried

b/d
I've always used my dogs tick hook. It's called a 'O' Tom.
Doesn't hurt me, bug comes away cleanly. My friendly field medic also advised me to dab "wound" with iodine from my water kit.
Dead easy to use, see website LINKY for a nifty video.

I just use a little bit of thread in a loop, put it over the ticks body down the head, gently pull it tight which pulls the jaws in then it pops off. The danger with using a cigarette to burn it off is that it can cause the tick to regurgitate into the wound which can then turn septic.