Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Advice on Masks : Gas / Radiation / Particulate Etc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm concerned about events in June and want to now equip myself with a mask or masks to protect against: chemicals / biological / gas / radiation. Can anyone point me in the right direction for these things or give me specific info please. Ideally one mask that does the lot or multiples for each hazard.

Thanks in advance Smile
All modern nations have a version of mask & filter that is adequate for the role you suggest. There are many available at Army Surplus sites, inc on ebay. You should not really purchase any of the old style wartime ones. there is no need. The British Forces used the S10 Respirator until recently and it is probably not fully superceded as yet. With the adoption of updated equipment, the UK forces (& others) have been offloading lots of S10 masks recently. Because of this and because we do not have a media hyped crisis event at this exact moment, then the masks + filters are cheap. Surf the net to get a hang of the latest price level. The price can multiply many times immediately after any type of threat scenario event, so now is a good time to buy. You may well be able to pick up a new one at the moment. You must obtain undamaged equipment unless you really know what you are doing & have repair skill level 10..lol

It is important to get filters that are still sealed in their foil packets. At least a few of these for each respirator is advised. Check the dates, you do not want to be buying filters that are decades old. The stamped shelf life should be able to be exceeded quite considerably though. The ingrediant is mainly activated charcoal and particulate filters. Same as for a water filter and effectively working the same way, just with gas passing through rather than water.

Don't forget you may need the NBC full suit if you wish to be protected from all the contaminants you list. With this you will need decontamination kit and knowledge of how to operate all this new kit. Combined with this you could well do with reading up on the contaminants and their effects and how to operate in their environment & to be able to appreciate how to mitigate harmful effects. The mask will only protect you to a more limited extent if used on its own.

Other expedient materials can be utilised by a civilian without NBC kit, so to be able to achieve some level of protection in the same environment. It is not NBC kit or nothing/death, if you understand
the principles behind it.

Happy researching. TL.

Hi TL,

Thanks very much for helping me with this Smile I will research NBC suits and decontamination kits also. I have a huge gap in my knowledge about airborn hazards but the idea of it scares the living daylights out of me. I will try and find out as much as I can about contaminents, their effects and how to operate in such an environment ... not exactly good bed time reading I'll bet ... But it's got to be done!

Thank you again! Smile

This is some thing I have to look into as well, I have a couple masks that were designed for asbestos workers but don't have filters.
Although CBRN contamination in the open is a concern, another thing to think about is how to live with it in the home.
You go out, you come in, now you have to decontaminate yourself.
No electricity = no hot water or electric shower and without full waterproof NBC kit, how are you going to wash any contaminates off?
Where are you going to decontaminate yourself?
Where are you going to keep your outside contaminated clothing?
Going to be expensive just black bagging it and chucking it out isn't it?

I'm currently fitting a room with a filter system and shuttered sealable window and doors.
I've converted my shower to gravity feed.
It'll be cold but it'll work but I've still got to work out how to get from there to my safe room without a mask on?

Problems, problems, problems.
Sort of makes me wish I'd never left the forces.
All you really need for your scenario is;

Suits and masks to get out of the contaminated area. It won't be a very large area.
Don't bunker down. It may be that nobody turns up and you will have to move eventually and by then your gear may be contaminated, you will be tired, hungry and thirsty.
Somewhere to go to that isn't a gov shelter.

I would arrange with my kids that if anything happens you go straight to Aunt Hildas or something. A rucksack with the gear in if possible. Some folding money for a taxi or payment. A mobile phone even if they are not allowed one normally. A list of instructions that they have already had explained and at a level they understand.

Any normal family is unlikely to be caught up.Oneor two people maybe.

Ignore the above for an all out nuclear war. Smile
Deleted URL. My AV came up with Malware detection when I went to the link. SD