Survival UK Forums

Full Version: BOL's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi.
I've read in postings that a number of people have planned a BOL, away from their main home. Don't worry, I'm not asking for grid references Smile I'm just curious as to whether these are places that you have just decided to head for after "the event" and then to try to establish a base, or whether the locations have been reconoitered and established in advance. Maybe with shelter and a cache already on site?
That's a really good question.

I think there's a mix of everything right now. Some people have caches and no specific locations. Others have specific locations and no caches (yet). Others still have both locations and caches.

In the area where you live, have you thought about how far away you would need to get to be out of the way and safe is there was a civil upraw?

Don't forget, much of what people have depends on their level of finances. Right now I'm paying off student loan, student overdraft, and a huge loan to the bank of Mum and Dad. So Buying my own place isn't an option. Instead I'm making caches, and will be putting them in places where I can come back to them and pick them up. I know places I could go to get away from everyone, but I just call them options.

For me, and a couple of others, by not having specific plans or specific BOL's it allows us to react more fluidly and flexibly (that is our theory anyway, but it might turn out to be a hinderance, especially if we become indecisive) to the situation. Others with set plans are better able to prepare their BOL's incase something does happen. It's kind of like putting some damn good eggs in a strong basket. It's a good plan, but not something that appeals to my current view of survival.

Age will also become a factor in BOL's. If someone is older, having a defined BOL makes more sense, as with ages comes other things that need to be considered, like fitness, agility, and things like that. However, that is all my opinion, and since none of us have had an emergency Bug Out, that I know of (I think TOF is going to be the closest to a required Bugging Out that I know of) then saying which is right and which is wrong is a bit up in the air. We'll find out what's best when it's too late to change our plans haha.
Having cache local is smart move, the problem is when you only have one or all cache in same place, this would be termed as eggs in a strong basket or one basket, which is not very good planning.

Anyway I am going to reveal one of my cache locations good luck finding my gear; I took these pics last year while doing a cache and meeting point reconnaissance.

I think that under the train stations platform we have a bomb shelter, reinforced concrete and metal, I mean it makes sense as the amount of people that could be standing on it but mostly because of the train vibrations, whatever the reason I see it as a bomb shelter or other maybe we get giant hail stones hit the country deadly ones (of course this is an example I am still sane but you get the idea right?) but under this platform we should be safe it could take the hits. (better then a house)

Anyway here are some pics, please excuse my vandalism I wanted to test my little wire cutters.

Photo one: We had to move around the train station and cross the track, due to the station having cameras all over it, this pic was taken after we had crossed the track, and you can see how close we was when that train came, this was just after the train.

[Image: 65c22t.jpg]

We made our way to the side of the platform you see in pic 1, there was a wire fence stopping us getting under it.

[Image: 24wukb9.jpg]

Ok I suck but I wanted to test my cutters, and for a cheap cutter it went through like butter a kid could do it.

[Image: 2zpm7vt.jpg]

And here you have it a reinforced bunker, and I need to confirm this but I think further up the bunkers won't have wire fence to track side, which gives more protection it will be concrete.

[Image: 6fto4j.jpg]

Last one to show the reinforced metal.

[Image: qqnz2t.jpg]

Forgot to say this is data from my stores it was written June 9th, 2011, 2:28 am I have since done more recon and of course cache placement, also if the bit about train don't make sense no worries I missed some of the details out.

Anyone care to comment on the reinforced concrete please do.
i have several BOL, most have been checked and rechecked, some are about to be checked-when the monsoon lets upBig Grin all of them are empty, abandoned but owned by someone else.
I have thought of several places that I have visited in the past and know them as they were then and have also lined up a couple of other places that look likely on the map and google earth. I would carry everything with me as bugging out has a lot in common with my hobby of backpacking and wild camping. I would have to get as close as possible to my final location with my Landrover then make several trips on foot to move the rest of my gear. Cost restrictions limit the amount of gear I could afford to duplicate at more than one cache. BP, I get the impression you are just accross the border from me. Unfortunately we don't have any unpopulated areas near us, just lots of lightly populated agricultural land. I guess the biggest risk would be a shotgun wielding farmer shouting "Ger orf me land"!
although Dorset has no cities, it has lots of towns and is sandwiched between Somerset and the coast. Devon especially northern Devon is a very sparsely populated areas, lots of little villages with dense countryside in between, lots of places to hide out if you know where to look!
I have spent a lot of time on Dartmoor and a fair bit on Exmoor so I can guess at the sort of places you have in mind. The wooded valleys of Exmoor as especially attractive.
the trouble with Dartmoor and Exmoor is a lack of trees! and being very exposed, its ok for the ponies and the sheep but their isnt much cover-unless you like gorse that is!
Mine have been well reccied out and mapped but I'm always loooking for alternatives, its why I joined Subterranea Britannica for extra sources of intel.