Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mile run
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(30 April 2012, 12:20)Neuralsandwich Wrote: [ -> ]Last I recall from cadets was you got 11 minutes for a mile. With out a pack would be easier but once. I have built up my fitness I will be running with weights and them my full kit when possible.

11mins.for a mile? is that running or walking? i used to be able to walk 4 miles an hour.....if my maths is correct that 1 mile in 15 mins ...and thats sauntering...smelling the daisies.Big Grin
(30 April 2012, 16:33)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]Here is another one for you Scythe, try running across a freshly ploughed farmer’s field after a good rain, you want a work out that should do it or I am getting too old and maybe it’s easy? Let me know.

That would be funny! You would also get taller as you went. I remember doing that & it was harder than I imagined. With a full pack it would be nightmare and I doubt you would stay vertical.. Big Grin
After reading this thread few things were not adding up, anyway looking at this meter it seems I have to add the size of my steps and few other things.

My confusion is where you measure the step, from back foot toes to front foot toes while in a step, or back foot heel to front toes.
A step is simply 1 pace. So the measurement comes from the same place each time. If you choose the toes, then it is the toes & visa versa. Otherwise it would not make any sense at all. :-)
I found information thanks

http://www.livestrong.com/article/40966-...tructions/

It gets worse I have been wearing it clipped to my t shirt and not my waist, sometimes I don't think.
(30 April 2012, 16:33)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]Here is another one for you Scythe, try running across a freshly ploughed farmer’s field after a good rain, you want a work out that should do it or I am getting too old and maybe it’s easy? Let me know.

I think it's a bit of both mate haha.

As much as I'm outdoors and all that, I hate getting muddy trousers! I'd do it, in shorts. But yeah, it's knackering. Same as running in sand, but your feet are deeper, wetter, and stuck! haha
If anyone is planning a mile on a tread mill, can I just point out that you're not actually running. With a treadmill, the motion is similar to a jump in exertion. You're pushing yourself up, while your foot is on a moving platform. You're not actually pushing yourself forwards. You're not forcing your bodyweight forward against the forces of gravity, air resistance, innertia and all those kinds of things. On a treadmill all the horizontal movement is accounted for by the machine, all you need to do is add the vertical aspect of 'running'.

That is why some people can run for an hour on a treadmill, but for less than 15 minutes on the road.
I have done the mile in 5:30 minutes, but I was nearly sick after that. When I am fully fit, about six if I push it, standard pace I can keep up happily is about 8 - 8:20 per mile (for a number of miles).

(30 April 2012, 11:54)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd like to start running again, but I broke my pelvis in a car accident years ago, and being young I escaped from hospital to spend time in the pub. Thus it healed strangely, I've now got extra bone, so I run like a mortally wounded, but very graceful, three legged elephant.

But, getting a dog, so I'll be walking about 4 miles a day from now on. Dunno about the running though - depends who can see me Smile

mate i bet that hurt pal
I can do 5K in about half an hour, outside though, so uphill and downhill. What I have started doing is running in combat boots and an assault vest, to which I am gradually adding weight.
well, 5K is 3 miles so thats 6 MPH, i can walk about 3 miles per hour but havent tried it carrying any kit yet, than just a normal walk on a hard surface...not across ploughed fields or anything similar.
Pages: 1 2 3 4