Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Insect Bites
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone

Got some mad insect bites off the weekend wilderness camp trip.

Terry said he got tick munched in the same place I was (but he's still not explained the tick story yet).

I'm asking about some weird insect bites I've got. They seem to be in pairs, spaced by about 1cm from the middle of one bite to the middle of the next! I've got 3 sets of these.

Can anyone explain what they're from. It looks like a miniture vampire bite! haha

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated!
Look up gnats/mosquities/midges bites.

I bought a nice little net to stop them getting at me, I killed a mosquities last week in home so they must be about now.
Not sure exactly but have you considered spider bites? Spiders often crawl over you and when they feel you move they react to this persevered threat by biting you which can lead to several (identical looking bites) in a small area of skin, and often look like miniature vampire bites.
It's not going to be Midges or mozzies, I don't think WnC. Because usually I flare up loads and they're gone the next day.

These are looking like mini vampire bites. Two identical little bite-pimples close together. I would have put them as mozzies or something like that, but there's 3 sets of the 2 'pimples' spaced appart the same amount!

Looks like I need to get some afterbite and Vitamin B Complex tablets......and a mozzie net!

Is spiderbites look like mini vampire bites, then you're probably right then Clansmen63. Next time I'll go to Hiroshima and get bitten by one of their spiders. Spider-Scythe...Spider-Scythe.....Friendly Neighbourhood Spider Scythe! Can he swing from a web? No he can't he's a pig. Watch out, Here comes the Spider-Pig!...........Urm, I mean, Spider-Scythe.
If you go down in the woods today
Your'e sure to get a scythe prize
Fairys, Elves & spider welts
Itchy bumps & pillows with lumps
The nights delight
The spiders were having a picnic!......
Most spiders in the UK are termed 'harmless' in that their bites are akin to a mozzie or midgie bite, however we do have about a dozen or so resident species of spider in the UK that can cause significant damage or unpleasant effects. With about a further half dozen non-native species that regularly find their way into the UK mostly via fruit that are known to have severe toxins that are capable of causing death in the right circumstances, though these are thankfully very few and far between and are mostly localized within the area of the fruit, so very unlikely to come across them in the woods. (Not yet any way). Mozzie nets are always worth investing in, and providing that you do not mind the smell 'Udder Cream' is a known deterrent of spiders and some other insects also. Rubbing this on will help keep them away from you, (also good for chaffed skin etc). It doesn't have an unpleasant smell, but it is a noticeable odor. Can be quite expensive if buying from shops and chemists, however if you contact any farmer, they are usually quite happy to sell you some very cheap as the stuff comes in 1kg tubs from the vet for about £10 but can cost about this for a small jar of it from the shops. Just thought that I would mention it since we were on the topic of spiders Wink