Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mess tin verses Billy Can
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Mess tins never seem to fit burners so you end up with hot in the middle and having to stir the whole time. It's also damn hard to dangle a mess tin over a fire. Billy cans, no such problem. Have stick can dangle.

Lids is another issue. Unless you fork out for a really good set of mess tins i.e. Crusader, you never get a lid!
So boiling in a draught is rather like blowing across your tea mug to cool it down. Bit of a waste of heat.

Can we have a discussion on who uses what and why?
(3 May 2012, 11:38)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Mess tins never seem to fit burners so you end up with hot in the middle and having to stir the whole time. It's also damn hard to dangle a mess tin over a fire. Billy cans, no such problem. Have stick can dangle.

Lids is another issue. Unless you fork out for a really good set of mess tins i.e. Crusader, you never get a lid!
So boiling in a draught is rather like blowing across your tea mug to cool it down. Bit of a waste of heat.

billy can every time!Big Grin
(3 May 2012, 11:38)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Mess tins never seem to fit burners so you end up with hot in the middle and having to stir the whole time. It's also damn hard to dangle a mess tin over a fire. Billy cans, no such problem. Have stick can dangle.

When you say mess tin are you talking only about the British Army tins?
i wondered about that! when i say mess tin i'm thinking of the square ones with the fold in handles...of which i have 2! still prefer a billy can for cooking in though!
(3 May 2012, 12:29)WetandCold Wrote: [ -> ]When you say mess tin are you talking only about the British Army tins?

Yep, army style, oblong folding handle.

I was having a chat with someone the other day about creating an expedient bread oven. First I was on about digging a pit to act as an oven, then my co chatter and I thought, why not just cover a pot on the fire. This led to myself suggesting adapting 2 mess tins so they could be clamped together. Very clever me thinks :-) Then later I see this thread & I thinks to myself - DOH!!!! Billy can. Of course. Why was I even thinking of messing about with mess tins???

Basically I think the clue is in the name ---- MESS TIN ---- as in a tin for using in or at a mess... Not exactly a self contained cooking implement like the Billy Can. God, I'm so stupid sometimes.. lol.
(3 May 2012, 22:24)Timelord Wrote: [ -> ]I was having a chat with someone the other day about creating an expedient bread oven. First I was on about digging a pit to act as an oven, then my co chatter and I thought, why not just cover a pot on the fire. This led to myself suggesting adapting 2 mess tins so they could be clamped together. Very clever me thinks :-) Then later I see this thread & I thinks to myself - DOH!!!! Billy can. Of course. Why was I even thinking of messing about with mess tins???

Basically I think the clue is in the name ---- MESS TIN ---- as in a tin for using in or at a mess... Not exactly a self contained cooking implement like the Billy Can. God, I'm so stupid sometimes.. lol.

I use both and in fact I have mess tins that are billy can, I think it’s great fun cooking on the army style mess tins, just look at the foreign mess tins and you have a Mess/Billy.Big Grin
Billy cans for me. I like to have a lid, size is key too, you can't boil much water in a mess tin without losing most of it as you try to decant it to a cup(I know, I've tried.) And, a mass tin is more difficult to clean. those blardy corners are a bu&&er.