Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Interesting chat with a policeman
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So we had the police round last night. I've not been naughty (well, I haven't been caught anyway), the MIL was raped last week, and they wanted a statement from the wife.

I asked him what the chances of the person being caught is - he said if the person has a record and they have DNA from the scene then it's pretty good. If not, no chance. Pretty much what I was expecting there...

Then he said that 95% of the arrest he's made (in his 11 years on the force) go nowhere. Hardly any convictions, even when there's plenty of evidence to support it. I said "Surely that's frustrating?" he said "Not really. It was a bit at first, but now I'm used to it. We're just evidence gatherers." I was pretty surprised to hear a policeman say this - I know it's true, but still a surprising. Also, the low rate of convictions was a shocker!

I got the impression from him that you can do whatever you want - you may get arrested, but you're unlikely to be charged!
I don't really have that much time for the police these days. I have in the past needed their help only to have been badly let down by them hence the reason I'm back in bristol, they seem more interested in cathing speeding cars than anything else, but saying that if I saw one who needed help I would help I should imagine its a thankless job
(11 May 2012, 15:01)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]So we had the police round last night. I've not been naughty (well, I haven't been caught anyway), the MIL was raped last week, and they wanted a statement from the wife.

I asked him what the chances of the person being caught is - he said if the person has a record and they have DNA from the scene then it's pretty good. If not, no chance. Pretty much what I was expecting there...

Then he said that 95% of the arrest he's made (in his 11 years on the force) go nowhere. Hardly any convictions, even when there's plenty of evidence to support it. I said "Surely that's frustrating?" he said "Not really. It was a bit at first, but now I'm used to it. We're just evidence gatherers." I was pretty surprised to hear a policeman say this - I know it's true, but still a surprising. Also, the low rate of convictions was a shocker!

I got the impression from him that you can do whatever you want - you may get arrested, but you're unlikely to be charged!
sorry to hear that Binary..very sorry indeed! cant say i am surprised at the low conviction rate..although i didnt think it was as low as 5%! for a long time Plod has been a crime SOLVER rather than a crime PREVENTER, stands to reason when they all swan around in cars instead of pounding the beat, not by the sound of it like they solve many crimes either, and as for the low sentences when anyone does get convicted is just laughable! glad i got out of the city when i did.
The prisons are so full that CPS are being told to ease of on prosecuting anything but the most serious of crimes. Its why society is going to hell in a hand basket Sad
(11 May 2012, 15:22)Illepidae Wrote: [ -> ]The prisons are so full that CPS are being told to ease of on prosecuting anything but the most serious of crimes. Its why society is going to hell in a hand basket Sad

going.....its flipping GONE!!
(11 May 2012, 15:17)Pagan-Mist Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really have that much time for the police these days. I have in the past needed their help only to have been badly let down by them hence the reason I'm back in bristol, they seem more interested in cathing speeding cars than anything else, but saying that if I saw one who needed help I would help I should imagine its a thankless job

Same here.

Few years ago I called the police as someone was being assaulted with a padlock on a chain, then someone else joined in and they both attacked this bloke. Called the police, followed the people down the road giving descriptions etc, then they did a runner. Old bill turned up, we had to go make statements, so I sat in the police station giving my statement to a "special" constable. Special was definitely the word. This bloke couldn't type at all (should be a prerequisite when ALL OF YOUR REPORTS ARE TYPED UP!) and couldn't spell for shit. Took at least 2 hours.

We didn't really think much more of it, until I spotted the other policeman in a pub on his night off. I asked him what had happened...

They'd found the bloke that had been attacked (in the hospital having his head stitched up) and the people who had attacked him. It was over an unpaid drug debt. He didn't want to press charges, they denied it anyway.

Turns out I spent more time in the fucking police station that the lot of 'em combined!
Also, I commented on his very practical bright yellow hi-vis vest and jacket. He laughed and said the police force / government had spent millions of pounds on these new hi-vis vests (so coppers don't get run over - or to help you aim Wink )

Now someone's realised that sometimes the police may need to sneak up on people, so now they're ordering a whole lot of new, black, vests. Being smart, they sold a huge portion of the stock of the old stuff on.

Nice to see they're spending our tax money wisely...
Binary,

Sorry to hear that about the MiL. Hope she is one of the practical ones and recovers quickly.

The bit about the convictions doesn't surprise me. 99% fo traffic offences though. Bastards.
(11 May 2012, 15:22)Illepidae Wrote: [ -> ]The prisons are so full that CPS are being told to ease of on prosecuting anything but the most serious of crimes. Its why society is going to hell in a hand basket Sad

They could always make all the current lifers into organ doners. That would free up some space and send a message or two about crime.
(12 May 2012, 22:12)Carnebwen Wrote: [ -> ]

They could always make all the current lifers into organ doners. That would free up some space and send a message or two about crime.

In Russian prisons they shave the women's head an make wigs from the hair.
I was a SOCO (scene of crime officer) with Tayside Police '05-'09. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Most, if not all of the cases I worked could be traced back to about five "families" in Dundee (cousins, half-siblings, step-family and the like) and it was almost impossible to get a conviction- even if the evidence could clearly prove it.

Most of the time felt pointless doing a full work-up as you could tell it wouldn't get to court, and if it did they'd pretty much get away with it.

Once got my kit stolen on the way home- apart from my wages docked nothing else was done. No time for them these days.

Pages: 1 2 3