Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Teaching Self Reiance in School?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

With all this upheaval and uncertainty, what do you think of teaching self reliance in schools. Not wilderness survival, but basic life skills such as money management, basic DIY, gardening, cookery needlework, metalwork, mechanics and the such.
I realised some years ago when my son was at school how ill prepared for life our young are when they leave the education system. They are promised well paid, fulfilling jobs and a free and easy lifestyle. As we all know, this simply doesn’t exist. Most of us live a basic lifestyle and few have a job they love. As a family we made sure the children were taught these lifeskills ourselves.
I come from a generation where we were taught all these things and more, although at the time I would never have considered them essential. It helped that my parents also thought practical skills as important as academic ones. I thank the education system I went through and my parents on a regular basis because I can repair x or make a cake, or put up home preserved food. It also gave me the confidence to cock a snook at the system and go my own way.
Personally, I think we need to radically overhaul the education system and give our kids a chance at a life that is realistic and they can survive and thrive. After all regardless of what we all think, they are the future of this country.
Funnily enough as I have just finished typing this Michael Cove has announced a shake-up of the education system!
dont get me started on this.... Finland, Norway, Sweden,Germany and even France(not that i would say it too loud) teach the kids more prectical skills for life then what we do, we mamnby pamby them with red tape, health and safety. They sooner or later wont be able to wipe their arses without it being put on an iphone for instruction. Drag them out from the computers at school and teach them real stuff even if its maths without aids, english (as half of uk cannot speak it).
i think most kids these days want to be a "Celebrity"..whatever that is, they dont want to work for a living they just want it handed to them on a plate.
When I was at school I was taught how to cook and sew not that I needed teaching we had a small area with animals and gardening. Where I was raised hunting, rabbiting and shooting were common place at weekends, we were taught this as soon as we were old enough and big enough to hold a gun.
Your right in saying that the children these days are taught an education that really looking at it isn't going to prepare them when the shtf, they do need to be taught suitable skills.
stepdaughter is a teacher at a local boarding college, teaching sociology, the pupils/students? dont want to learn the subject all they want is to know JUST enough to pass the exam.
If its not our goverment wanting to cut corners its our kids as well, great start for the coming generation.

It doesn't bode well for the future of this country.
The way things are looking I don't think this country has much of a future anyway.