Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Tracking your equipment (or not)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been getting tardy, over the last year or two I've either moved,used, consumed or lent out various items of kit, and I've suddenly realised its just far to easy to misplace gear.

On one point I can soon identify issues and thats with the hand tools I've set aside, cos I painted em all blue. Even so I'm amazed to see just hopw far some of my kit has migrated, I spotted one of my big crowbars gathering dust at the back of a relatives garage who ""Borrowed"" it when he put up a new fence THREE YEARS AGO, and I'm pretty sure the same relative has my sledge hammer as well.

I also note that my spare water containers ( white poly 20 litre jerry cans) have not returned and being lent of for "" 2 DAYS"" three weeks ago.

I find my big rope that should be in the back of the van is apparently now helping a friend some 20 miles away, equally of my six x 7 litre gas bottles only three are present and accounted for.

My NATO folding shovel has miraculously found its way into a neighbours sand pit !!!!!

I think that more frequent check lists are required especially on consumables as I also noticed that the two boxes of 12 AA Duracell Ultras has completely been used by the kids !!!.
i KEEP CHECK LIST AND I KNOW WHERE ALL MY KIT IS AT ANYONE TIME. I HAVE ON MY CHECK LIST EXPIRE DATES OF FOOD, MEDICINE ETC. MOST BE A SIGN OF A SAD MIND
i know where all my stuff is and can find it straight away, but then i dont have kids!Big Grin
i think its an important rule to not lend out anything from your BOB or GHB....and if you do decide to do so, i think its a good idea to not only make a full list of equipment that you can refer to, but giving each one a rating of 1 2 or 3 depending on how vital it is, that way even if you do decide to lend things out you can make damn well sure you dont lend out anything from priority 1 or 2, only 3....as well as making sure you keep a record of how long and to whom you lent the item to.

but the easiest solution is to simply keep all the kit in an easy to access place, but only for you, that way no one else would be nicking stuff like your kids needing your batteries Smile.....but this thread definately highlights a good issue, personally my kit is scattered throughout my mouse Tongue although i have very little so far xD
there's a saying down here: "neither a borrower or a lender be"!
a good saying it is too! especially for a prepper
I make sure all my stuff is put away now. Lost too much in the past. I only keep out what I use on a daily basis. Too many people take and don't return.They only get one chance with me now and only with non critical stuff.

My main problem, as I'd imagine with anyone but BP, is the kids.
im 19 and dont have kids xD....but yes i think a one strike and your out system is probably the best thing, that way you dont seem like a tight arse but at the same time keep track of everything Smile
it might be ok with ordinary every day items to lend and lose them but you dont want to do that with your survival stuff you never know when your going to need it, if your in that kind of situation better to have it in a locked box.
I've got a small inventory list of what I have , where it should be , and where it actually is.

The consumables all have dates recorded , and I can be reasonably sure I will use the batteries and the rest up before they 'expire'.

You just have to discipline yourself that - there is a place for everything , and everything should be in its place.

Now where did I leave those base layer long john things again ?..........
Big Grin
Pages: 1 2