Survival UK Forums

Full Version: David and Goliath slingshot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to get some sort of accuracy using a strap sling like what they used in biblical days or on the streets of Palestine.

Range wise I can sling a 2oz (ish) rock well over 100 yards.
My release is clean but accuracy?
I've hit the shed twice from 20 yards. Nice big dents but. . .
Lets just say my steel bucket is having a day off from being pounded.

Anyone got any tips?

wood like to sell how you get on with that pal seen them on the tv look good funny and handySmile
A point I remember from my army days was a viosit by some lads and lasses from the IDF Golani Brigade, They used to face palestinians who used slings and sling shots and they admit that both could do some harm if you got hit, but they did point out it was the twats with the slingshots who were the main trouble cos they used to pop up and fire but the folks using slings had to expose themselves and often got shot for their trouble.
Sorry no vids available Barneyboy. Besides the way I'm chucking stones it's too embarrassing.

A good point NR but I'm interested in low tech hence the fun I'm having.
I don't worry about range though.
Airgun, crossbow, catapult and the rest are accurate to 30m.
Facing a shotgun or rifle?
I'm probably toast unless I can get the first round away but who cares!
Why worry about the little things when there is so much else that can kill you.

Cracked it.
Not the accuracy, just the greenhouse window. 8 foot high and 45 degrees left.
Damn I'm getting worse!
(16 August 2012, 13:28)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]Cracked it.
Not the accuracy, just the greenhouse window. 8 foot high and 45 degrees left.
Damn I'm getting worse!

Practice with a tennis ball. Then when you get that on target fill it with sand. Notice the difference, then get that on target. Then when you can hit your target get yourself some magical exploding powder to go inside Smile

Much better than rocks, plus if you do manage to wang one over the fence and into a neighbours garden (or head) a tennis ball looks a bit more innocent (even if it is filled with sand) than a big chunk of rock!
Also, did you make it yourself or is it something that you can purchase?
Oh, golfballs too - they'd be better than rocks. Watch for bounce back though, they do hurt if they hit you!
http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/weapons/sling.html

there's some interesting information on there - might have a look into knocking one up myself. I'll hold off on the exploding projectiles for the moment though
Made myself out a a length of 4mm para-cord.
Cup is 2 inches diameter woven para-cord.
Straps 4 feet one with a thumb loop.
Neighbors? They don't care about me, I oblige back.

Finally hit the bucket, had to stop for a bit as my shoulder was hurting.
It's all in the spin I'm thinking. I've been using the shoulder to pick up speed. Don't.
Let the load do the work. only bit really moving is my wrist now.
Also, dropped the size of the shot. swopped onto modelling clay and the shot is about 3/4 the size of a golf ball.
Because there is less flaying round, the release is more controlled.
3 out of 10 shots on the bucket at 20 yards.
Getting better.

the key with using a sling like that is practise, using the right techniques and such like, less like a rifle and more like a slingshot it takes so much practise to get accurate! certainly a fine art to it, im crap with em!

anyway glad your improving, stick at it mate Smile

if ya like i can find a tutorial on making the stone age style with nice natural bits Smile...cant remember where i put it xD

(16 August 2012, 15:15)00111001 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, golfballs too - they'd be better than rocks. Watch for bounce back though, they do hurt if they hit you!

hurt? they do more than bloody hurt xD...at secondary school we were seeing how high we could bounce one, so me being great at throwing was like, hey everyone, watch this!...got up on top of a fence jumped off, slamming the golf ball with all my might at the ground to get a huge bounce, only to lean over where i'd thrown it to see it come straight toward me noggin.

a minute or 2 later i woke up lying on the ground with a lump in me head the size of the bloody golf ball! was like it'd gone straight into my head xD

moral is, golf balls hurt, dont get in their way!
YesBig GrinBig Grin

Neighbors well upset Tongue

15/15 hits on my bucket with the modeling clay.Big Grin

Had to change styles AGAIN.
Now more of a over the top release.

(17 August 2012, 09:00)Paul Wrote: [ -> ]YesBig GrinBig Grin

Neighbors well upset Tongue

15/15 hits on my bucket with the modeling clay.Big Grin

Had to change styles AGAIN.
Now more of a over the top release.

nice job dude, its only been a few days and your already getting consistent accuracy! soon you'll be bringing some nice rabbits home Big Grin
Pages: 1 2