Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Links for articles on Bug Out Bikes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
thank nr like the idea
Hi NR

This link is a treasure chest of excellent information training and advice.

Alas Sheldon dies a while ago, but his spirit lives on in the site he created.

Consider download all you might need while everything is still functioning:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Thanks Sheldon.
One thing you should do is then start to use the bike. It will be good for you and sure beats the hell out of being knackered after a couple of miles. When I bought my bike I put it in the garage with the rest of the preps. A while later I started to use it and it was OK till I hit the first hill. I was worn out when I got back on a journey I walk regularly without getting worn out.

If you plan is to bug out on bike to a BOL overnight for example then make sure you can do the trip.
The OH suggested getting the bikes out yesterday and cycling to a pub we know. As I mentioned in another thread the bikes very rarely get out of the garage. It was a round trip of 10 miles according to google maps, all on secluded cycle tracks, and the biggest thing I learnt was the need for a quality saddle. The cheap plastic thing the bike came with is fine for a couple of miles to work and back but doing any kind of decent mileage is quite literally a real pain in the ass.

I'm probably going to look at the old style wide saddles with the springs at the back or a modern variant of it.
(27 August 2012, 11:23)IB1 Wrote: [ -> ]The OH suggested getting the bikes out yesterday and cycling to a pub we know. As I mentioned in another thread the bikes very rarely get out of the garage. It was a round trip of 10 miles according to google maps, all on secluded cycle tracks, and the biggest thing I learnt was the need for a quality saddle. The cheap plastic thing the bike came with is fine for a couple of miles to work and back but doing any kind of decent mileage is quite literally a real pain in the ass.

I'm probably going to look at the old style wide saddles with the springs at the back or a modern variant of it.

I had the same problem i got gel seat cover it helped a bit.
(27 August 2012, 11:23)IB1 Wrote: [ -> ]The OH suggested getting the bikes out yesterday and cycling to a pub we know. As I mentioned in another thread the bikes very rarely get out of the garage. It was a round trip of 10 miles according to google maps, all on secluded cycle tracks, and the biggest thing I learnt was the need for a quality saddle. The cheap plastic thing the bike came with is fine for a couple of miles to work and back but doing any kind of decent mileage is quite literally a real pain in the ass.

what you need is a "fat bum saddle" we got them for our bikes much better than the standard saddles which just about cut me in half!TongueBig Grin

If you're in pain after only 10 miles, the saddle's probably not adjusted properly. Get that fixed first before shelling out on a new one.

I had the same problem a few months ago on a new tandem. I focussed so much attention on my partners's riding comfort, I forgot to set up mu position correctly with a lot of pain as a result. Now I've sorted thatwe are faster and also able to ride for much longer than before.
Just put Gell filled saddles on wifeys and brats mountain bikes.