Survival UK Forums

Full Version: low cost barter items that last
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
dont know if this subject has been done to death or not but im looking for ideas for items to stock mostly for barter? i thought i would start with candles, stanley knife blades, what will be in demand?
Food and medicine. You can get asprin,paracetomol and ibuprofen as cheap as 19p worth its weight in gold
I'm curious about the blades issue, thus my shaving thread. I think a packet of razor blades would turn rusty. So I'm a bit worried about that.

Ways to start fires would be good. Lighters, matches, and things like that would be well worth looking into.
Wet wipes and loo roll
Spectacles, notebooks, pencils, ciggys, coffee, tea, basically anything you want yourself that will be difficult to get after, just get some spares.
Many disposable razors are sold in celaphane packets filled with inert gas to stop them going rusty.
CACHING AND STOCKPILING ISSUES
STOCKPILING SUGGESTIONS

There are many lists available on the web and in books about what to stockpile or cache, this article is simply a guide of useful things to consider having around "just in case"
Some items you may wish to obtain can be useful on a day to day basis as well as being invaluable during a crisis for your own use or to barter with.

Tea / coffee / whiteners
Sugar / salt
Flour / grain / pasta
Soap / bleach / detergents
Tooth paste / deodorant
Zip lock bags / bin bags
Candles / paraffin
Coal /charcoal / wood
Spirits

A FEW MORE USEFUL ITEMS

MISCELLANEOUS
• Batteries AA/C/D
• ___ Batteries CR123A
• ___ Candles
• Gas Bottles 7KG
• ___ Parachute cord
• ___ Cigarette lighters
• ___ Porta-Loo Chemicals
• ___ Duct Tape
• ___ Cable ties
• ___ Chemical Light Sticks
• ___ PV Panel / charger
• ___ Tarpaulin

PAPER / PLASTIC PRODUCTS
• Aluminium Foil
• Plastic Wrap
• Garbage Bags
• Zip loc bags
• ___ Baby Wipes
(24 October 2012, 16:24)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about the blades issue, thus my shaving thread. I think a packet of razor blades would turn rusty. So I'm a bit worried about that.

Ways to start fires would be good. Lighters, matches, and things like that would be well worth looking into.

Not sure how much help this will be, but watched an episode of super scrimpers once where the guy said razor blades for one razor used daily can last up to a year if they are dried well after use. It is the moisture that makes them go dull.
I guess anything that you would find useful / critical for yourself in a post SHTF situation would also be of use to others, and therefore barter-able. Maybe just stock larger quantities of all these critical items.
There could be high value items that some folks may wish to cache such as
Sealed tins of coffee
Bottles of spirit
Table Salt
Iodene
Corn in sealed containers
Wheat berries
Pure virgin cooking oil
Rechargable Batteries
22LR ammo
12 Gauge Ammo
Jars of preserves
Female sanitary kit
Baby formula
Honey
(24 October 2012, 20:15)Hexyprep Wrote: [ -> ]
(24 October 2012, 16:24)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm curious about the blades issue, thus my shaving thread. I think a packet of razor blades would turn rusty. So I'm a bit worried about that.

Not sure how much help this will be, but watched an episode of super scrimpers once where the guy said razor blades for one razor used daily can last up to a year if they are dried well after use. It is the moisture that makes them go dull.

It has got to be the shave that dulls the blade surely ? but im sure the moisture will not help
Pages: 1 2 3