Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Can we list useful skills for preppers to learn NOW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Not tried krav yet, done mma, ground work I struggle with drains your energy quickly, but someone always ends on the floor in a fight.
(29 October 2012, 10:52)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Not tried krav yet, done mma, ground work I struggle with drains your energy quickly, but someone always ends on the floor in a fight.

It's all about ground work, for me. I hate the idea of punching someone in a fight, because I've seen so many people break their hands/knuckles, and become useless. So in a bad situation, I'd rather kick, elbow, knee, or grapple. Even the slap is a hugely underused strike. Can nicely perforate someone's eardrums, and can screw up their sense of balance!!!

But you're right, crappling does knacker you out super fast!!!
My old coach failed to block a punch, his ear felt funny afterwards. Woke up and his pillow was covered in blood, damaged his ear lobe. Elbows are nasty, not only do they hurt but its a good way to split a face open.
*ear drum
(29 October 2012, 11:19)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]My old coach failed to block a punch, his ear felt funny afterwards. Woke up and his pillow was covered in blood, damaged his ear lobe. Elbows are nasty, not only do they hurt but its a good way to split a face open.

Elbows are like knives! When used on the face, they slice!!! Eyebrows, cheeks, and ears are always quick to slice with an elbow. After that...forehead is next to split. Blood in the eye means.....quick win. However, it also means that the person you're fighting can't see. On the streets that's called.......Street Win.
Street win up here means you and your mates kicking your victim in he head numerous times.
I think it's only fair to say, when the wolf pack style of fighting comes into good stead, it will be a post SHTF situation. That'll be when I'm furthest away from the Urban Environment.
Spinning... and not the type you do on a bike.
Baking
preserving food/smoking/salting
Making things like, vinegar, sugar from sugarbeet, quicklime, salt.

There are so many things I know my grandparents could make and did make as a normal, that everyone did that I just have no idea about.... and then the other day I saw a girl buying fresh ready made mash potatoe and had to wonder if the very basic art of making mash potatoe would one day become like making vinegar is to me today... something I know can be done but haven't actually tried as I can just buy it!!
i think extracting useful products from nature is one of the best things we can learn to do really, if we need to make toothpaste we'll need sodium bicarb, so knowing natural sources of either it or its precursors will be valuable information....hell even simple things like you boil sea water to get sea salt, you'd be shocked how many people dont realise that xD

also things like making jerky or dried salted meats things that are relatively easy to make, have high nutritional value and are light and long lasting, thats exactly the kinda food skills a prepper needs Smile
An odd skill, and rather illegal, learn the skill to wear 'normal' clothing, but conceal a few weapons.

Also, the skill of being a 'grey man'.....yeah baby, let's bring that concept back. The skill of fitting in, being unseen, and passing through a crowd without attracting attention. I find that hard, because I LOVE the gym!!! But people don't look and think I'm carrying a weapon or 5.
good point scythe, one thing i think is quite cool is the "MercHarness"

[img]http://cablemodem.fibertel.com.ar/nsbenitez1/mercopbeta/images/shop/mercharness1s.jpg[img]

made of paracord, convenient placement and easy to conceal...little things like that are bloody useful.

i'm starting to think we should all chip in lots of info and ideas and write a book "The Art Of The Grey"
[Image: mercharness1s.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3