Survival UK Forums

Full Version: cooking after power down.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
OH posed this question this morning and i would like to hear other peoples take on this. so OK the power is off and is going to be off for 48-72 hours and you want to heat up a can of soup, have a cup of tea..whatever...you dont have a fireplace or a log burner....so you get the camping stove out from where it is stored...you cant use it outside..its hammering down with rain ..total monsoon so you have to cook indoors..with some window or vent open....so here's the question...what do you put under the camp stove to stop it burning the worktop, table or whatever you put it on? you cant use asbestos anymore so what do you use??
like i said in another post we have a small gas camping stove which is kept at all times in the BOV, we also have a double ring multi fuel coleman, a bbq, in the caravan a gas bbq, woodburner to heat things up and a clay oven outside if all that failed we would build a open fire out side and use the dutch ovens. I think that abouts covers our cooking in an emergency be it short term or long term. The set up does have just one fuel but uses a variety of fuels and styles.
(4 November 2012, 10:58)uks Wrote: [ -> ]like i said in another post we have a small gas camping stove which is kept at all times in the BOV, we also have a double ring multi fuel coleman, a bbq, in the caravan a gas bbq, woodburner to heat things up and a clay oven outside if all that failed we would build a open fire out side and use the dutch ovens. I think that abouts covers our cooking in an emergency be it short term or long term. The set up does have just one fuel but uses a variety of fuels and styles.

We have a utility room that i would cook in, under it i put a granite chopping board we have or slate place mats. The windows would be open to provide ventilation. We also have a covered area outside that i built for the clay oven, small smoke house and to store things like wood etc. So that would be another area that we do use to cook in. Sorry about that didnt read the question correctly.
I really must get around to making a Solar oven to experiment baking bread in.
(4 November 2012, 10:58)uks Wrote: [ -> ]We have a utility room that i would cook in, under it i put a granite chopping board we have or slate place mats. The windows would be open to provide ventilation.

thanks for that UKS, i do know where i can get some roofing slates so will probably acquire some for this purpose. thats just 1 of our cooking solutions if power off, also have several Calor GAZ cylinders, and a Rocket Stove...have an area in the garden which i can use for the rocket stove.... i like to have more than 1 option.Big Grin
Camp stoves like most items push the heat up. I doubt it would heat upany surface you were heating on. However, I would use something like a place mat to stop scratches.

Now if my fire was a pile of leaves or twigs then I would worry about what it was on.
Going to have to try heating food with tealights, got a camping stove but would like to know if I could gt warm food without it.

(4 November 2012, 11:13)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]I really must get around to making a Solar oven to experiment baking bread in.

Good luck with that, i was going to give it a try but I thought you needed good sunlight so as we live in the u.k. didn't give it another thought... perhaps careless of me? Let us know if you make one please and your results...
And as for the stove problem, what about fir bricks or indeed bog standard bricks to make some sort of stand or maybe a breezeblock or two...
That should read FIRE bricks /NOT fir bricks whatever they are...
Also I saw this on a youtube video about allotments funnly enough but thought it a great idea if you could afford the initial cost as you light the fire in the base and it has a kettle jacket to heat water and tyou can put a pan on top to heat food up.
a storm kettle...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-STORM-...3ccc230a74[Image: $T2eC16hHJHgE9n0yHGEQBQOkoshiiQ~~60_35.JPG]
and you feed the fire through a hole in the middle with twigs and small sticks etc...
My gas bottles are the type you place under a stove. So I'd just place a wooden chopping board under it.
Don't want to sound weird, but how would a camping stove burn something?

My stoves are the kind you place on a cylinder, and the cylinder can freeze, while the rest heats up.
Scythe beat me to it I would use a large wooden chopping board and place my camping stove on it
My camping hob is the type that goes on top of the bottle, could be used anywhere, on the dining table with no protection if I wanted.

If the electricity was off in my house and I wanted to boil some water or heat something, I would use the gas hob on my cooker Wink

However, I think the question is along the lines of 'what if the normal is not there'.

Well, if I had a stove that got hot on the bottom, I would out it on top of the hobs on the cooker - they get hot now, they would not have a problem having a stove on. If I had electric or induction hobs put an oven tray on top of them and the stove.

No stove? Protect hob with upturned baking tray, put another baking tray on top of that and make a small fire in it. Got plenty of charcoal. If I was going down that route, I would try keeping it small but keeping it going all day so I was not having to faff around geting a fire going when I wanted a cup of tea, hot water etc and also keep my largest pan full of water on it so was always a reserve of warm / hot water.
Get yourself to your nearest ethnic food store and buy a large stock pan from them for the purpose.
Pages: 1 2