Survival UK Forums

Full Version: What would you do?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The SHTF a few months or so ago. You put your plans into action, whatever they may be. They have been successful thus far.

You are now coming up to you first winter, you know you can get through it but you are unsure if you can make it through next year for whatever reasons.
You had some communications with others but that stopped a while ago. May be there was no more power, no way to recharge batteries, may be they were over run or died. You have no way of knowing.

So you sit down one evening round the fire with those who are with you, family, may be friends, to discuss the problem.
What would you recommend?

This is not a stupid question for it could happen.
I want some input before I divulge my cunning plan.
I will give it a week and then post a suggestion.
Please no silly answers, this is a serious question and it could affect your life come post SHTF.
John
(6 November 2012, 17:26)John Wrote: [ -> ]The SHTF a few months or so ago. You put your plans into action, whatever they may be. They have been successful thus far.

You are now coming up to you first winter, you know you can get through it but you are unsure if you can make it through next year for whatever reasons.
You had some communications with others but that stopped a while ago. May be there was no more power, no way to recharge batteries, may be they were over run or died. You have no way of knowing.

So you sit down one evening round the fire with those who are with you, family, may be friends, to discuss the problem.
What would you recommend?

This is not a stupid question for it could happen.
I want some input before I divulge my cunning plan.
I will give it a week and then post a suggestion.
Please no silly answers, this is a serious question and it could affect your life come post SHTF.
John
i would suggest we stayed put, i see no point in rushing off leaving our own place undefended or seriously weakened, our own people MUST come first, if the others survived but were overrun then MAYBE they might make it to ours, maybe they went elsewhere in which case we might never find them, we could get there and just find dead bodies, anything except staying put could put our group in danger.
Stay put. Is my survival dependent on their survival? Unless something is needed to survive, it is a luxury. Until such time I had created or was part of a self sustaining community that could deal with threats such as attack or poor harvest, the other group would be very low on my list of priorities.
Coming up the the first winter. Suggests that the weather is going to really suck! Stay put for the winter, but head to a pre-agreed location, should communication stop.

I've told a few people on here what I'm doing WTSHTF. They know where to meet me, and if I'm not there (for whatever reason) they know where I'm heading, and that I'm very likely to leave them a clue as to where to find me. Maybe something like a small box in the smoking shelter, complete with map, compass, knife, a few MRE's, some bottles of water, spare AA batteries (make sure your torches are AA), and maybe a change of thermals. For those of you who know what I'm on about, you can expect to find that. If it's not there, I'm in place and will come to you. Either that, or I've left to the BOL and another team member has picked up the cache. You'll probably find SUK written in the smoking shelter anyway, and if I've set off, you'll find the date and time I set off in there too.

So, if that's the situation, the plan would be to follow plan B.

Also, prearranged markers and caches are always a good idea. Being able to check them is very helpful!!!
Move in winter? No way.
Stay put.
Spring is the time for action, winter the time for self preservation.
Besides, if they've lost comms through equipment failure they may be coming to you.
That could blow your supplies logistics right out of the water.
Supplies only enough to last that winter
Coms failed ( see told ya so LS Smile )
Discuss with family group, do we moved to our alternative location first thing as spring breaks, or wait to see if we can replentish food first perhaps enough to sustain but failing that move to our alternative location late summer?
stay put until spring but also would ration food not by much say reduce intake by 300 cals from 2000 to 1700 it would extend your stash by a week or two so you could travel in spring and find fresh supplies etc