Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Arrow making courses?????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can anyone direct me or knows of anywhere that I can go to learn how to make arrows?

dont want videos, or piccies just courses please.

NR
Hi NR

Arrows are really easy to make, most archers make their own and its usually the first bit of kit they learn to make for themselves.

Not sure of availabilty in your location but the best place to start would be your nearest archery club or archery shop - they will have you making good quality arrows in a couple of hours with minimal kit.
What is it you are after? Something basic like how to fletch correctly, materials and so on or something advanced like using kit to balance an arrow, making shafts using a dowel jig and pole lathe, using stocked modern materials, improvising modern materials or using natures materials?
Quick s sell all the parts they do have a web site but I would shop around
It's not rocket science honest Smile but more important is your draw length and your draw weight arrows work much better when they are tuned to you and your bow
Fly a lot straighter Smile not really answered your question but hope it helps

Bd
http://www.nativeawareness.co.uk/courses/arrow-making/

Probably a bit far from you but at least it shows there are some about
I'm looking at doing a basic course in how to make or assemble modern wooden and synthetic arrows not as basic as the course IB1 kindly linked me to, but not the fancy high tec courses modern target archers. I just want to learn how to make good decent basic arrows I can fire from bows up to 30 pound draw possibly 40 pound draw.
None of our archery clubs in this area do such courses
There are NO archery shops in the proper sense in NE England.
Hi NR

if the local clubs don't do courses, try contacting one of the members who live locally to you and ask if they can show you how to build arrows - any decent archer will be able to show you how to do it in a very short space of time. Especially if you are using modern materials and just assembling them. I taught my daughter in an afternoon when she was only 12, she's made all her own arrows since then.

You'll need a proper fletching jig (pretty cheap off ebay or from an online archer supplier), this sets the fletchings at the correct distance and angle for you, which is the hardest part. If you can't get anyone to show then buy a jig and a few bits from an online shop and watch one of the many online videos - you'll be knocking out good arrows in no time. Then you can learn how to make bow strings - also pretty easy.
(7 November 2012, 10:24)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]Hi NR

if the local clubs don't do courses, try contacting one of the members who live locally to you and ask if they can show you how to build arrows - any decent archer will be able to show you how to do it in a very short space of time. Especially if you are using modern materials and just assembling them. I taught my daughter in an afternoon when she was only 12, she's made all her own arrows since then.

You'll need a proper fletching jig (pretty cheap off ebay or from an online archer supplier), this sets the fletchings at the correct distance and angle for you, which is the hardest part. If you can't get anyone to show then buy a jig and a few bits from an online shop and watch one of the many online videos - you'll be knocking out good arrows in no time. Then you can learn how to make bow strings - also pretty easy.

Pity you dont live up north !!! Smile, thanks for the advice will start seeking experienced archers but they are few and far between.

I'm looking for a simple design arrow that can be adopted by the community, something most preppers will be able to assemble with simple tools, as best I can tell the only really important pieces of kit that are almost vital are Fletching jig and the pencil sharpener thingy for tapering the ends to fit nocks and tips with ?????..

I've also seen a fluffy spiral fletch thingy that looks like a soft fluffy bog brush that is used instead of feathers or plastic fletches.
NR

You'll need a jig, glue, fletchings (get 4 inch feathers), wooden arrow lengths (get 11/16th, these tend to be a bit more rugged and will need to be a bit longer than your draw length for your safety and spined to match your bows draw weight, 30-40lb should do it,), knocks, pencil sharpener for the diameter of your arrow and piles (arrow heads).

Once you've got competent at building arrows using the bought stuff you can then start to improvise, e.g. making your own fletchings, making self knocked arrows, making your own arrow heads etc. Just take it one step at a time.
(7 November 2012, 10:58)gary5wift Wrote: [ -> ]NR

You'll need a jig, glue, fletchings (get 4 inch feathers), wooden arrow lengths (get 11/16th, these tend to be a bit more rugged and will need to be a bit longer than your draw length for your safety and spined to match your bows draw weight, 30-40lb should do it,), knocks, pencil sharpener for the diameter of your arrow and piles (arrow heads).

Once you've got competent at building arrows using the bought stuff you can then start to improvise, e.g. making your own fletchings, making self knocked arrows, making your own arrow heads etc. Just take it one step at a time.

NR

Ignore the typo re arrow shaft diameter, should read 11/32 NOT 11/16 LOL.
my brother just bought all the kit to make em nr ....i will check out what he,s doing and give you update asa he sets it all up
Pages: 1 2