Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Doggies!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I will buy a short hard whip just for such types and their screwed up mutts! Big Grin
Size 12 steeltoe caps seems to do the job Big Grin
Come to think of it, I have steel toe caps! Big Grin

Next time...*malicious smile spreads slowly as nefarious plans takes shape*
(20 November 2012, 08:57)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]Come to think of it, I have steel toe caps! Big Grin

Next time...*malicious smile spreads slowly as nefarious plans takes shape*

Just punch it in the head or on top of the nose. No lasting damage to the dog. Might hurt your hand though if you get 'em right on top of the noggin.

Don't really get problems with other peoples dogs having a go. The owners normally steer them away when they see our rotty looking at their precious pooch with a hungry look in his eyes...
(20 November 2012, 14:41)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Don't really get problems with other peoples dogs having a go. The owners normally steer them away when they see our rotty looking at their precious pooch with a hungry look in his eyes...

Me need a Rottie! GGGrrrrrrrr! Big Grin
(20 November 2012, 15:19)Mandlaka Wrote: [ -> ]
(20 November 2012, 14:41)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Don't really get problems with other peoples dogs having a go. The owners normally steer them away when they see our rotty looking at their precious pooch with a hungry look in his eyes...

Me need a Rottie! GGGrrrrrrrr! Big Grin

Are you looking at a dog as a prep as well as a pet?

I went for the rotty due to it's reputation as a loyal dog, very good a defending you, and the fact that despite their reputation they won't eat your first born just for fun, but will defend them without question or hesitation. Not much good for catching anything (apart from cats and people) but very useful if put to work correctly. They're used to tow things, so you could easily get an adult rotty to tow you on a cart. Could also be used to pull a small plough etc. They're very good at herding cattle (and joggers / anyone on a bike).
Oh, and anyone attacks you they will get bitten. Quite severely too.

Downside - they eat a lot. They shit a lot. They still think they're a tiny puppy even when fully grown, so expect them to try and sit in your lap or squeeze in to the tiniest of spaces between yourself and your partner.
People almost run in the opposite direction if they see the dog bounding towards them (not always a bad thing)
Get two staffies, perfect family pets if raised and trained correctly, naturally protective, very athletic (proper staffies not stumpy show dogs), very intelligent, good ratters and would die to protect you, plus there small enough to not take up too much space or food!
As discussed before a dog that can pull a trevois or a small cart would be handy, a hunting dog to pull down game and anything that barks a lot when people come snooping.

My staffy would lick a burglar to death
(20 November 2012, 16:15)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]Are you looking at a dog as a prep as well as a pet?

Yes, Sir, I am. I have 2 small sons and am considering getting 2 dogs.
Due to size and possible ferocity, Rotties may realistically not be the best choice before SHTF. Afterward is another story.

As I have not yet decided, I will have to keep my eyes open for the ideas and opinions you guys are airing. Eventually i will hopefully make the right choice...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6