Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Glasses for kids
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
I know the general rule for prepping and people who wear glasses is to have a spare pair (or 2 or 3) but what about for children whose prescription will change vastly. The reason im asking is because my 3 yr old daughter wears glasses and were it not for the new technology they would be the jam jars of old. If something happened and her eyes changed as she grew i would never be able to get her new ones as i dont know how they changed. is there anything i can do to prepare for that or do i just wing it and hope for the best???

thanks in advance

madgirl
only thing i can come up with madgirl... go to the pound shop get ALL types..better than nothing
They are the wrong type of lenses. A number of years ago I wanted a load of lenses to play with, so phoned up a local lab that makes glasses and asked them if they had anything that they no longer needed. Got enough different lenses to fill a large sweet tin. Frames would have to be home made, but I would rather see and look like a fool than not.
I agree with Straight shooter, I would make a note of the glasses strength now, and buy several pairs of glasses with progressivly stronger strengths,...
Thats what we have done just got the cheap glasses you can find from his and ours lowest rating upto the highest.
i think her eyes will get better as she gets older, the theory they told me was that cos she was caught early enough (wen she just turned 2) that hopefully they would get better as she got older. iv been a bit wary though because when i got her some prescription swimming goggle they said they only do them up to +6.0 which is very strong and that she is +7.something but that the water would make the difference so im thinking that at the mo and probs for the forseeable future, she will need the really strong ones. i think il check everything with her optician and then see which way i need to go (stronger or weaker) then start looking at where i can get them....
(17 November 2012, 22:27)Madgirl151 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi
I know the general rule for prepping and people who wear glasses is to have a spare pair (or 2 or 3) but what about for children whose prescription will change vastly. The reason im asking is because my 3 yr old daughter wears glasses and were it not for the new technology they would be the jam jars of old. If something happened and her eyes changed as she grew i would never be able to get her new ones as i dont know how they changed. is there anything i can do to prepare for that or do i just wing it and hope for the best???

thanks in advance

madgirl

Find her prescription and buy the ready made glasses you see in places like superdrug in the next strength and the strength after that. ???, Usually the script stays pretty much the same for long and short sightedness its just the size of the specs that change ( I think), Macular degeneration tends not to happen til most folks get old ( I think)
Laser or corrective eye surgery and option ????
Those 'cheap' glasses most likely will not be suitable at all. They are little more than magnifying glasses for age related eye problems - where the muscles in your eye do not move the lens in the eye so well any longer and so need help.

Please, everyone, stop recommending them as they only work for a very specific problem, a one a child is very unlikely to have. Whilst they would have a limited use for some one who is solely long sighted, for those who are short sighted or have astigmatism, they will be worse than useless. The cast majority of children with vision problems will not be long sighted.
As a last resort, you could try making some pinhole camera/ Inuit snow goggles. You do this by taking a conventional frame and covering them with duct tape with little holes punched into it. This has the effect of focusing incoming light onto the back of your eye.
I'm not sure how effective this could be, but It would definitely be better than nothing.
whatever you decide to do, still keep the old glasses-even if they are very weak against the new glasses she gets its better than having nothing at all, i keep all my old glasses and some are very weak compared to my current ones they are still usable.