Survival UK Forums

Full Version: what first?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
right not sure if this is the best forum but here goes

I started prepping for unemployment which is still my main aim but as the OH is starting a new job in a couple of weeks we'll have a bit more cash to start building the stores quick and allow me to expand into other areas.

We've got certain things from camping and walking and I intend to up grade a few things like for example we only have one 3 season sleeping bag (got a few others so at the moment in bad weather and no heating OH maybe sleeping in in two or three bags) got a couple of knives and a gerber multitool, flint etc

Anyhow the big area I'm short in is more on the hunting/security side of things.

eventually I intend on getting several different option from bows to air rifle and things that need locking in big metal cabinets that are bolted to the wall.

The question is what would you get first..... I'm thinking join a club then get an air rifle. But would you go for a section 2 FAC and get a shotgun or a bow/crossbow (no room to practise at home though)?

That's an interesting question.

Will be good to see people's reactions and answers.
I'm going to assume people will ask if you're more interested in privacy or weaponry.

If prepping for unemployment, I would (and have) invested in silver and a few stocks that I know and trust (boring, but as close to a guarantee as possible on the stock market). We all need financial buffers, so if unemployment catches you out, you have something to fall back on.
it depends on how close you think shtf... bow , crossbow etc.... i would wait for more posts about the kit though..i have a recurve bow and crossbow..and air rifle ....something is better than nothing ..but wait a bit for the posts there will be better advice than mine
I choose the crossbow,..in my case a powerfull one the Jaguar recurve 175lb pull crossbow,.. my reasons are many

It will depend a lot on where you live,.. in my case the prime reason for the crossbow is for hunting, if I needed to hunt, then I can do so with as few people knowing about it as possible,.. where as a gun shot would always draw attention

Ammo is easily got,.. both the target type arrows, that would be enough to take the smaller prey such as rabbit, but also the broadheads that I can easily use on animals as large as deer and know that providing I hit in roughly the right spot that animal will bleed out fast, and I have my kill

Cost, .....to buy any sort of firearm is going to be costly, not just for the weapon, but also the licence and the cabinet in which to keep it,... you also have to give a reasonble reason for wanting one,..if you live in deepest city, then that `good` reason might be hard to come by.............. an air rifle is an option, but would that kind of weapon be enough to deter someone who is hungry for your food

We do have a bowmans club close by but I have never been, I am not a `cluby` person,.. none the less if I do need to give an answer as to why I have it,..to simply a casul enquiry,.. then I can always bring the club into the conversation

It should be said for anyone who doesnt already know, that it is a legal weapon, no licence required,... but it is illegal to hunt with the arrow,.. although its not illegal to have all the means,... such as broadhead pointed arrow,...... `bolts` not arrows in the case of the crossbow
Decide what you want to use the weapon for. If it is just hunting bunnies and pigeons then got for an air rifle. If you are by marshes then a shotgun. If you have deer or boar in your area a FAC.

If it is two legged predators then go for crossbows and BF knives.

Start with what you would use the most and expand from there.
Thanks for the replies

and good points about timing of SHTF and what I want to do with the selected purchase
If you see your problem as a lack of food due to no work, air rifle. You are more likely to get permission to take rabbit and pigeon than you are deer or boar. Also, although it is armed tresspass and a stupid crime to commit as - armed response will turn up and might shoot you, your stuff will be confiscated and destroyed and you run the risk of jail, I still see an awful lot of evidence of people shooting with air rifles on public land.

Do not discount something such as a catapult. Easy to put in your coat, not going to see you in jail and you were just firing stones at cans. The way people are these days if you have a bow and are not firing it into a paper target or if you have a crossbow with you on public land, expect a call going into some one.

As for self defense, you should not really have any of that kit for self defense, shows intent see. You had it because you like to have it for other reasons.

Buy yourself a nice light but strong chair to put your watch on or hang your pants off in the bedroom.
I would in the first instance be joining any club near me as I'm interested in developing the skills and shooting is something that I did many years ago before hand guns were banned and as a friend at the time had a FAC I used his guns at the club

did last too long due to lack of money and then the ban coming in so what ever I do go for first will be a new sport for me at a club then if I want to develop hunting skills I intend on doing it legally
(23 November 2012, 00:09)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]If you see your problem as a lack of food due to no work, air rifle. You are more likely to get permission to take rabbit and pigeon than you are deer or boar. Also, although it is armed tresspass and a stupid crime to commit as - armed response will turn up and might shoot you, your stuff will be confiscated and destroyed and you run the risk of jail, I still see an awful lot of evidence of people shooting with air rifles on public land.

Do not discount something such as a catapult. Easy to put in your coat, not going to see you in jail and you were just firing stones at cans. The way people are these days if you have a bow and are not firing it into a paper target or if you have a crossbow with you on public land, expect a call going into some one.

As for self defense, you should not really have any of that kit for self defense, shows intent see. You had it because you like to have it for other reasons.

Buy yourself a nice light but strong chair to put your watch on or hang your pants off in the bedroom.

All this is correct at this moment in time,... but but I was talking about when TSHTF,.. things will be different then,

...also I should mention Scotland, and the fact that there are no tresspass laws here, so carrying a crossbow on the hills would not be illegal,... hunting would be
(23 November 2012, 08:56)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]...also I should mention Scotland, and the fact that there are no tresspass laws here, so carrying a crossbow on the hills would not be illegal,... hunting would be

Armed trespass is not related in act of law to the old trespass laws, it is part of the Firearms Act and applies in Scotland. A crossbow however, does not count as a firearm, so you would not fall under the act. A police officer may arrest some one who is openly carrying a crossbow - ie it is not in a cover or case - sure that the Public Order act would cover this.