Survival UK Forums

Full Version: rought and corn yields in US
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
grain prices tend to filter through about 12 - 18 months ..to the price index....the markets alot shorter UP big time from bread to meat something else to look forward to. more grain for me then
The price of meat I think has risen again between 30/40% and dairy products as well the percentage for that I'm not sure about I'll have a look and see what figures I can find.
These are mainly the rises in august.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19827998
The increase in meat prices is crazy, even tinned meat. I see we are getting meat from even more countries now. Was at the wholesalers yesterday and normally they carry British and Brazilian beef, saw Polish, Uruguayan and some where else I do not see beef from before. A lot of it could be down to herd offloading due to the increase in feed prices, but I would rather see cheaper tinned products than more fresh.
A lot of the stuff now being sold as beef in the UK is in fact not beef as we know and accept it to be, its from a type of bovine cattle that is popular in South America but its actually got a hump on its shoulder , its cheaper to raise than real beef cattle but its meat is much much tougher and the steaks are like eating a shoe.
That would be Brahman cattle - they can be tough, that toughness has been found from American bloodlines - in South American, a lot of the Brahmans are crossed with Angus / Herefords and a lot of the herds of Brahman type come from bloodlines developed in Southern Africa.

I bough a piece of Uruguayan rib eye that made 6 massive steaks for 1/3 the cost of British beef. While I will agree British beef would be so much more tender, when you look at it on price terms it becomes a luxury item.
Braham that does ring a bell, anyway the last bit we had we ended up feeding to the mutt cos we couldnt eat it.