Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Crazy thought about B O L's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
One of the things I make a point of recording is the location of Scout Camps, Remote youth hostels, Outward bound centers, Cadet camps, Venture training camps etc because the chances are these often self reliant places are not likely to retain their staff if we suffer a major catastrophe, so these out of the way places could make good BOLs.

Then I got thinking that also many English Heritage and National Trust properties ( though not all) often dont have anyone actually living in them.

Same as some of the decling numbers of Army transit camps ( Beckingham, Leak etc) they also are often unmanned much of the time.

Then of course many old Napoleonic and Victorian coastal defence and observation structures are equally unmanned.

Then I thought of another more modern facility that could play to our needs. IE Residential holiday parks like Centre Parcs, Oasis etc, dozens of self reliant often timber or concrete chalets set in scenic woodland. if TSHTF big style chances are not only would the guest bugger off home, but so would the staff. There are Center Parcs and other such places dotted all over the UK, it must be worth making a note of them just in case. Now add to these the kids venture and summer camps like Camp Beaumont, PGL, and many of the private day and boarding schools set rural loations. ( No SD there is no Hogwarts dont get excited)

Food for thought.
What! I was going to put dibs on that.

I always recommend to people that they get a decent map of their surrounding area. Have a browse around using Goolge Maps and then have a wander around to actually see what is there. It is necessary to see what is within half a mile of your BOL or BIL at the very minimum and you are likely to find yourself changing your plans to fit in with some new bit of info.
There are loads of bothys that have been forgotten about over the years. I know of a few in Teesdale and Weardale that a a least a mile and some a lot more over hard ground from public roads - public roads you would only be on for the sake of being in the middle of no where. I know the Bothy association does not know about them and they are not on or too close to footpaths, bridleways, green lanes and other rights of way.

Sometimes the best thing to do it spend a lot of time covering ground, but I do like to spend a cold dark winters evening with an OS Explorer map open over the floor and have a good look in each square. You find some very interesting things.
(25 November 2012, 21:31)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]There are loads of bothys that have been forgotten about over the years. I know of a few in Teesdale and Weardale that a a least a mile and some a lot more over hard ground from public roads - public roads you would only be on for the sake of being in the middle of no where. I know the Bothy association does not know about them and they are not on or too close to footpaths, bridleways, green lanes and other rights of way.

Sometimes the best thing to do it spend a lot of time covering ground, but I do like to spend a cold dark winters evening with an OS Explorer map open over the floor and have a good look in each square. You find some very interesting things.

whats a bothy
Please note that self reliant and self sufficient are different things.

Like the idea of taking somewhere like Centre Park!!! Anyone else up for that, please message me. We'll build a plan.
(25 November 2012, 21:46)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Please note that self reliant and self sufficient are different things.

Like the idea of taking somewhere like Centre Park!!! Anyone else up for that, please message me. We'll build a plan.

Alton towers all the way
(25 November 2012, 21:49)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]
(25 November 2012, 21:46)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Like the idea of taking somewhere like Centre Park!!! Anyone else up for that, please message me. We'll build a plan.
Alton towers all the way

I had nightmares of that place......back when I was 27 haha. We can build that place into a stop on route.
(25 November 2012, 21:37)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]
(25 November 2012, 21:31)BDG Wrote: [ -> ]There are loads of bothys that have been forgotten about over the years. I know of a few in Teesdale and Weardale that a a least a mile and some a lot more over hard ground from public roads - public roads you would only be on for the sake of being in the middle of no where. I know the Bothy association does not know about them and they are not on or too close to footpaths, bridleways, green lanes and other rights of way.

whats a bothy

A `Bothy`...at least in Scotland, is a building often single story in a remote location, maintained is a very simple way for the use of walkers/climbers who need shelter in bad conditions,.. they are very often bare inside, but the building is well looked after
(25 November 2012, 22:23)Highlander Wrote: [ -> ]
(25 November 2012, 21:37)Barneyboy Wrote: [ -> ]

whats a bothy

A `Bothy`...at least in Scotland, is a building often single story in a remote location, maintained is a very simple way for the use of walkers/climbers who need shelter in bad conditions,.. they are very often bare inside, but the building is well looked after

cheers for that see one on countryfile the other week
Some of the ones I know have fireplaces built in - funny, as there is nothing to burn for miles around them. Did come across one that was miles from anywhere that had a sack of coal in it and a load of old fencing poles stacked out the back of it. Some one might had got a 4x4 up there at some point but their is no way they could have got a trailer up there.

A bothy I know of in the lake district, some one has built a woodburner with a boiler on and the bothy has a bath.
Pages: 1 2