Survival UK Forums

Full Version: EMP Proof Vehicle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Came across this while having a wee look around, thought you guys may be interested.

http://uk.jalopnik.com/5937778/how-to-pr...dnt-bother
Motorised EMP proof vehicles are still modestly common in the UK, they take some modding to make into comfy vehicles but if you find a cranking handle started dumper truck or tractor, or lister flatbed you have an EMP proof vehicle.

If you fit an AIR starter unit ( uses bottle air to spin engine instead of starter motor) and provided the lift pump and injector pump are engine driven not electric driven you can easily have an EMP proof vehicle
I have read simular reports,.. I wish I knew for sure
The problem with that report is that there are so many variables including the fact it is a simulated EMP that you can't be sure. We prepare for events that are measured at millions to one and in their sample some cars were damaged. That seems much smaller odds and I'd rather be sure that I was covered. That is what we do.
From what I was told provided the circuitry is completely off i.e. no battery connected anywhere and being no current running through it anywhere a safe distance from the actual blast not directly underneath or something like that it should be fine.

I saw a test by the u.s. government whereby the car was run directly under an emp generator about 6 feet or so above it and it completely fried the circuitry.

I think because the test results of any emp testing cold be used to design a viable destructive emp device , they're kept pretty much secret so good luck finding 100% proof either way.
Plus whats a safe distance?
I think my old series 3 should be alright? No electrickery to speak of, will start with a hand crank. Only issue would be the battery, but with enough bodies I could bump start it.
The thing is that cars dont have any grounding point, so the impulse goes around and around,...I wonder what would happen if we were to earth our vehs everytime we parked up.

I think all engines that are kick started or pull started should be alright, the likes of Quads should be ok,... there is no electrical circuits in those,.....

Generators I am not sure about,..sure they are pull started, but there is a circuit leading to the on board plugs
I know for a fact that the vehicle over the road will continue to work continuously.

It smells a bit funky - but as long as you have a steady supply of carrots it'll keep going Tongue
if you have an off road motorcycle,not sure about the new ones but, a lot of the old ones can be run without a battery, any electrics come straight off the engine.
(30 November 2012, 19:07)bigpaul Wrote: [ -> ]if you have an off road motorcycle,not sure about the new ones but, a lot of the old ones can be run without a battery, any electrics come straight off the engine.

That's a good point! I had a little yamaha PW80 when I was 5. Kick start only, no battery etc. That was great fun.

Hhmmmm, I should investigate another one of those (maybe a 125 this time), obviously as a birthday present for the boy.
Pages: 1 2