Survival UK Forums

Full Version: New House
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi Everyone

Just a quick update.

Me and the wife are looking at a new house. This one will be to buy and enjoy.

We're looking at somewhere with a 100 foot garden not too far from Taunton, but not too close either. It'll be slightly less than rural. More like suburban.

But it's a lovely home and she said I can get a gun cabinet and a shotty licence when we move in!!!

Garden will be split into 2 parts. One for me, polytunnels, and alternative tech experiments. The other will be for her and her animals.

Any suggestions or modifications would be greatly appreciated!
you say NEW house, do you mean new or just new to you?? i would be looking at something that has WORKING fireplace and chimney with a view to installing a log burner, what is storage like..does it have enough room for your food stores and other preps? does it have a larder or pantry? does it have a garage? if it has a 100ft garden you could look at building a workshop.
Good luck with the moveShy
We no chance of moving anytime soon but as we have just starting on the prepping front these are the things I'm looking at at our place

Storage would be the first thing I'd look at

we live in a two up two down terrace with no garden just a small yard but I do have a good shed I built myself as we are first starting to build up supplies storage will be an issue, long term loft may have some potential too

as stated wood/multifuel stove that you can also put a pan /kettle on too so you get heating and some cooking this is something I'll be looking at, also I'd be looking at the insulation etc.

Alternate power solar etc if you have the cash and the roof is pointing in the right way

Scythe can I ask you to trust me on this, and do just this once what I ask, I would like you are your good lady to go to Bishops Lydiard and ride the train to Minehead and back, It will be a wothwhile recce that you wont regret, You sit one side and look out and wifey the other side, swap places on the way back. When you get back you will have at least a dozen places you want to check out by car I guarentee you.

(4 December 2012, 12:01)Scythe13 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Everyone

Just a quick update.

Me and the wife are looking at a new house. This one will be to buy and enjoy.

We're looking at somewhere with a 100 foot garden not too far from Taunton, but not too close either. It'll be slightly less than rural. More like suburban.

But it's a lovely home and she said I can get a gun cabinet and a shotty licence when we move in!!!

Garden will be split into 2 parts. One for me, polytunnels, and alternative tech experiments. The other will be for her and her animals.

Any suggestions or modifications would be greatly appreciated!

Bugger forgot to add, Think LATERALLY and keep the railway in mind Smile I know you will get it.
Hint, Mrs NR had to drag me kicking and screaming back to the car to leave that area !!
i would have thought that area was one to stay away from myself, its far to near to Hinckley Point power station, the area around Nether Stowey is a well known Cancer Hotspot..especially for young children! our doctor in Glastonbury was always getting the post for the doctor in that area(same name no relation) and it was all cancer related. Hinckley Point C is the main reason why we left Somerset.
Its shielded by the quantocks and the predominant wind direction is NW in summer and SE in winter, but you make a valid point BP if folks are concerned about power stations.
we lived on Windmill Hill in Glastonbury, you could see Hinckley Point power station from our house, we were 15 miles straight down wind of the site, a cloud over hinckley point when i started walking the dog around the block could be raining on US before we had the chance to get back home..that has actually happened...so imagine that cloud wasnt rain but nuclear matter! and we were further away than Minehead or Bishops Lydeard! we moved back to Devon A because its Home but B because the prevailing wind is AWAY from this area.
Get some fruit trees in as soon as you can, if you decide to buy it
sorry, not trying to rain on anyones parade, just my personal opinion having lived in Somerset for some 10 years.Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3