Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Supermarkets warned of winter vegetable shortages
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Difficult growing conditions have led agriculture industry experts to warn that consumers should expect shortages of winter veggies in the days leading up to Christmas, especially in the United Kingdom.

Crop production has been hampered by poor weather and devastating floods, officials say, which will undoubtedly result in fewer commodities available for grocery store shelves this holiday season.

Supermarket managers in the UK have said they could be forced to import some traditional Christmas meal staples, such as potatoes and sprouts, "while homegrown carrots will be smaller because of difficult growing conditions," The Guardian reported.

Some chain stores say they will import a lot

In addition, the amount of cauliflower is unpredictable, and store managers will most likely have to also import red cabbage beginning in April, the paper said.

The British Growers Association, an industry-owned agricultural organization, said early crop projections suggest that there will be one-fifth fewer Brussels sprouts in the coming year as well, primarily because of poor weather. Also, the group said, parsnip crops have underperformed.

"Potatoes have suffered from both the summer drought - which can lead to discoloration - and the deluge of rain," the paper said, "which has made them hard to harvest." Heavy recent rainfall; however, has worsened the situation across Great Britain by stunting the growth of sprout plants, many of which are now rotting away.

Figures from national British supermarket chain Morrisons, based on data supplied by farmers, say the sprout crop is down by about one-third across the board and will probably force retailers to import sprouts. Still, the chain says it is prepared to offer 100 percent British sprouts this Christmas season.

Difficult growing conditions have led agriculture industry experts to warn that consumers should expect shortages of winter veggies in the days leading up to Christmas, especially in the United Kingdom.

Crop production has been hampered by poor weather and devastating floods, officials say, which will undoubtedly result in fewer commodities available for grocery store shelves this holiday season.

Supermarket managers in the UK have said they could be forced to import some traditional Christmas meal staples, such as potatoes and sprouts, "while homegrown carrots will be smaller because of difficult growing conditions," The Guardian reported.

Some chain stores say they will import a lot

In addition, the amount of cauliflower is unpredictable, and store managers will most likely have to also import red cabbage beginning in April, the paper said.

The British Growers Association, an industry-owned agricultural organization, said early crop projections suggest that there will be one-fifth fewer Brussels sprouts in the coming year as well, primarily because of poor weather. Also, the group said, parsnip crops have underperformed.

"Potatoes have suffered from both the summer drought - which can lead to discoloration - and the deluge of rain," the paper said, "which has made them hard to harvest." Heavy recent rainfall; however, has worsened the situation across Great Britain by stunting the growth of sprout plants, many of which are now rotting away.

Figures from national British supermarket chain Morrisons, based on data supplied by farmers, say the sprout crop is down by about one-third across the board and will probably force retailers to import sprouts. Still, the chain says it is prepared to offer 100 percent British sprouts this Christmas season.

Era of cheap food is over.
Naturalnews.com

my first proper post Smile
(4 December 2012, 21:52)MikeA Wrote: [ -> ]my first proper post Smile

And a bloody good one too!

Thanks for sharing this.
I'm still struggling to find affordable decent tins of Swede turnip for my stockpile.
cardiff market sunday bag of spuds £8.50 all veg has gone up we noticed .....good post well done
7 kilo of spuds on our vilage green £2.80
Brussel Sproat shortage. How sad. I hate them. I ate millions when I was a kid.
(4 December 2012, 22:11)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]Brussel Sproat shortage. How sad. I hate them. I ate millions when I was a kid.

Cooked correctly with a nice bite covered with bacon and chestnuts lovely.
i see major shit ahead....all food will rocket upwards ...no doubt about it
Its quiet scary how much prices have gone up in the last two years, my wife is always telling me of increases,..and its not the luxury goods either, its the everyday bread and butter items,... how some of our older people are going to survive I dont know,... I think some may not
Well, spuds, I have not bought for years. Onions, not bought for years, but due to the poor summer amongst other things, have had to buy in - £2.50 for 22lbs of onions. Carrots I grow a few, but can still get sacks of them cheap. Winter greens - cabbages, kale, sprouts I got nailed by the rain and slugs. NAILED.

Own fault. Should have burned the bottoms out of the hedges, didn't and was inundated with slugs. Also, was working the plot next to mine last year so it was clear, it got new tenants this year that have let it go while so it is a slug haven. Will burn the bloody hedges dry in the spring.

Also going to take everyones green waste in the area the council normally collects twice a month spring summer and autumn, put it through shredder and mulch to help keep the slugs off.

NEVER AGAIN.
Pages: 1 2