Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Mitex 5 watt PMR radios
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(8 December 2012, 22:39)NorthernRaider Wrote: [ -> ]http://www.filesaveas.com/mitexportableradios.html

NR, this may well be the kind of radio you are looking for for your group there are however, a couple of points though...... the thing is that it uses a proprietary battery and/or battery eliminator.... have you asked them or looked to see it there is an adapter that will take AA batteries in place of the proprietary one, and it is an integral antenna, you could mod this though BUT it will negate the license if you get one.

You can get the license so that you can practice "legitimately" (£75 for 5, not bad VFM) but remember if your name is on it you are TOTALLY responsible for the use of them in your "company".....

I may well get some to add to my arsenal of comms equip just so the "family" can have a backup system that they can use "freely" so to speak..... (Pun intended Big Grin)

MA
Oh dear.

Just in case anyone who is interested hasn't read a single post of mine on this subject - my other 2 handsets are Baofeng BF888-S.

Compare please.

[Image: N82LL.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo_SfNq8lbvsGiiYK3Ic7...rshU5Cpd8A]

One is £80 from Maplins the other is £17 off Ebay.
Both have similar if not identical performance.

One is the Mitex handie , and the other is the Baofeng BF888-S.
Both say < 5W on the plate at the back.

The choice - is yours.
Baofeng please! Did you read the quoted range?!

Can you take a rottweiler to be dry cleaned? Poor sod has Vimto in is fur now...
Aye Beardy , the real range will be exactly the same as what the mitex can achieve.

Believe me.

The handsets are practically identical.

I would not be surprised if both are made in the same factory
-in Shenzen
-in China
-in fact.....

I'm probably wasting my time saying that I've had BOTH in my hand (* thanks Maplins for showing me the Mitex ) , they are very similar , both feel the same , roughly weigh the same , they both use the same connection form with accessories.....that's why I bought another BF888-S and not a Mitex.

Believe what you will , feel free to spend the extra £65 for no performance gain.

Say sorry to the mutt for me bud Smile
Nearly forgot - Read This
You can't beat those baofengs.

Maplins used to be good, like 15 years ago, when it was catalogue only, and they only really sold components.

Now, they knock out overpriced crap. I've not seen a single thing in maplins that I consider worth the money.

(10 December 2012, 22:03)The Local Ned Wrote: [ -> ]Aye Beardy , the real range will be exactly the same as what the mitex can achieve.

Believe me.

-in Shenzen
-in China
-in fact.....

I'm probably wasting my time saying that I've had BOTH in my hand (* thanks Maplins for showing me the Mitex ) , they are very similar , both feel the same , roughly weigh the same , they both use the same connection form with accessories.....that's why I bought another BF888-S and not a Mitex.

Believe what you will , feel free to spend the extra £65 for no performance gain.

They look good, just read the link. Might order a couple to add to the PMR set I already have. Hopefully they were kind enough to use the same chargers / battery packs in both the UV-5R and the BF888-s
(10 December 2012, 22:51)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]You can't beat those baofengs.

Maplins used to be good, like 15 years ago, when it was catalogue only, and they only really sold components.

Now, they knock out overpriced crap. I've not seen a single thing in maplins that I consider worth the money.

They do pretty buttons.......not the sewing kind though.
(10 December 2012, 22:51)BeardyMan Wrote: [ -> ]You can't beat those baofengs.

(10 December 2012, 22:03)The Local Ned Wrote: [ -> ]Aye Beardy , the real range will be exactly the same as what the mitex can achieve.

Believe me.

-in Shenzen
-in China
-in fact.....

They look good, just read the link. Might order a couple to add to the PMR set I already have. Hopefully they were kind enough to use the same chargers / battery packs in both the UV-5R and the BF888-s

Bear in mind that the UV5R can be reprogrammed by hand, and that the BF888-s needs to be compoter programmed.

BF 888 is more robust than the UV5R and more suitable for inexperienced operators as its channels are fixed by the computer download and cannot be accidentally reset by the operator. operator just has to selectthe correct channel number, nothing more.

UV5r is more flexible and offers more options. It can be reprogrammed n the field through its key pad, which has advantages in operating on un-planned frequencies.
(10 December 2012, 21:16)The Local Ned Wrote: [ -> ]Oh dear.

Just in case anyone who is interested hasn't read a single post of mine on this subject - my other 2 handsets are Baofeng BF888-S.

Compare please.

[Image: N82LL.jpg]

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRo_SfNq8lbvsGiiYK3Ic7...rshU5Cpd8A]

One is £80 from Maplins the other is £17 off Ebay.
Both have similar if not identical performance.

One is the Mitex handie , and the other is the Baofeng BF888-S.
Both say < 5W on the plate at the back.

The choice - is yours.

the Baofeng is available on Ebay for £14.60 with free postage-if you can wait for it to be delivered from Hong Kong.
Battery setup / configuration is different with those handsets mate.

The UV-5R has a plug to lead , which goes into the socket on the desktop cradle for the handset to charge , the BF888-S is plug to lead -straight into the cradle....i.e the cradle cant be used with a DC cable from a cig socket in a car like the UV-5R.

The batt voltages are different though , 7.4v for the UV-5R and 3.7v for the BF888-S.

Please note - although the mitex ( and BF888-S ) are quoted at 5W , they have been tested to produce 4.2W max with around 3W being the norm...still , it beats 0.5W.

Take note - they have only 16 channels.

Ch16 can be used as a scan channel IIRC.. i.e turn it to 16 switch on and press the PTT button and it will scan the other 15 channels

As LS has said - this handset is more designed for field use , it has no frilly bits and is fairly well built....the same cable fits it as the UV-5R , and the software is all but identical , but you do need to program it by PC - I will supply a .dat file for anyone who requests it for this handset or any variant.

It will be set out 1-8 = UK PMR , 9-15 = UHF call channel with the others being freqs of choice or your local repeaters.

My wife and teenage kid use ours -while I have the UV-5R.

Baofeng have released another similar model to the 888-S except it also has an FM broadcasts capability for picking up national radio etc.

The new model was the *LINK* BF-A5 *LINK* which is 7.4v like the UV-5R but with a different battery setup again.
Pages: 1 2