Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Snow Chains
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Okay, so I've been hearing on the radio that we're in for another harsh Winter, possibly colder than last year and the year before.

I was thinking about getting some snow chains for my work van but know nothing about them.
Can anyone shed some light on what I should be looking for?? And can you use them on a motorway that has been cleared in some places but not others? I don't want to see them fly off at speed on a normal road surface.
and of course I may get some for my BOV.

Any help would be welcome.

R.J.
waste of time
i've had them only good for thickish snow and you have to remove them when no or thin snow on the ground best bet is good winter tyres i use a landie most of the time in winter but last year i use a citrean zx diesel as i had loads of running about and the cost of fuel i put 2 on the front and it was like something else never got stuck and could stop as well will put some on my little run about this year
I've never been one for snow chains but I do believe that they are worth keeping for a survival situation. It's not like the RAC will be available, the roads will deteriorate and you will spend more time off road. To me they are no brainers, a low cost solution if you have everything else sorted. If you live in the country then a little higher on the list.

For use now though. Not worth the hassle.
I just keep Steel belted 8 ply radsial Mud and Snow tyres on my van and car all year round, the van got stuck badly last year but new tyres appear to have given it more bite. But the Mitsy was totally unaffected by the ice and snow with its 4 wheel drive.
Well it looks like all I need are some good Winter tyres instead then. Thanks for the advice guys!
Winter tires are made from a softer rubber compound and therefore wear out very quickly in warmer weather (the colder weather hardens the rubber somewhat reducing wear). Ideally you need two sets of wheels, one with 'normal' tires and one with winter tires. This is expensive (and a PITA to swap over twice a year) but it does mean you are unlikely to be stuck with a puncture as you've 4 additional spares you can call on if you have to.
i'll stick to my Continental tyres then.
(1 November 2011, 19:44)Skvez Wrote: [ -> ]... it does mean you are unlikely to be stuck with a puncture as you've 4 additional spares you can call on if you have to.

You keep them all in the car then? My punctures are always when I'm miles away from home.

I'm sticking with my standard tyres. Plus where I live the snow makes the nervous stay indoors and the roads are free of most traffic. This makes the odd slide forgiven.
(2 November 2011, 15:15)Skean Dhude Wrote: [ -> ]You keep them [extra 4 wheels] all in the car then? My punctures are always when I'm miles away from home.
Smile No but most of my punctures seem to be slow punctures. I can limp home even if I have to pump the tire up every 15 minutes.
I don't have four spare winter tires I was just imagining how useful they would be. There will be no garages to fix a puncture after a (severe) event and probably a lot more junk on the roads.
unless you drive a 4x4 you only need 2 winter tyres either on the front or back which ever drive you car or van is also put some weight in the back over the wheels if a rear wheel drive to help and you only keep the winter tyres on for the time we have snow when it's gone just swap you wheels back over a garage will charge about a tenner if you too lazy or can not and put the winter tyres on some steel rims from the scrap yard
Pages: 1 2 3