Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Why are preppers hated so much
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
having watched DDP and seen people say crazy things (things that are not taken out of context, rather than other saying they are) or doing what I think of as crazy things, then yeah, people will come across as crazy.

Are they a real prepper / urban homesteader / one that strives for better self reliance, or are they at best a media whore, at worst a lunatic?

I am with SD, some of them in the US should have their gun ownership looked into, some should even have if they are right to be bringing up kids.

I do not think the media has a H/O for targeting prepers - more so it has a H/O for circulation numbers, viewers and ad revenues. Sensationalism sells. Look at how Opportunity Knocks and other variety shows changed into X Factor and Britain's Got Wankers. Look at how Out Of Town, One Man and His Dog and the books of John Seymour have moved in the media to be prepper crap.

Come dancing got 'celebs' and 'stricly' attached. Masterchef 'Goes Large' and included 'The Professionals'.

Any media thing you had in the past got a does of steriods around 1998. It became nothing if it was not 'reality' (read: some fat lasses that drank too much spirits and a gay guy in tight jeans).

Do no blame the media so much for trying to get market share. Blame the idiots that are the market.

Hate is a very strong word. Consider how strong every time you use it.
well folks i could care less what sheeple think of me...and for that matter any of you......the common factor is this
WE prep that and that alone binds us ALL ......nuff said
daughter no 3 today......wants to know more.....but ask,s in round about way...not wanting to seem that keen...cool....think i am getting through........at last...... wonders will etc
BDG I think you said it all there mate.Smile I'm starting a little website myself and I'm calling it a 'Self Reliance' website because I think theres more to prepping than wearing camo, owning lots of knives and a metric tonne of baked beans....Wink

Because of the media/sheeple/whoever many of the newbies watching DDP will have the wrong idea about what we are about, some will learn or eventually see past the hype and will be assets to the survivalist movement, others may end up just slightly right of Waco.

I suppose we all have different ideas of what prepping is about and I think that is the scary part. I often say to the wife, if the 'SHTF' we will go to ground and avoid people, even other preppers, why? Because with all the norms of life gone and without the law, what fills the gap? A large enough prepper group could become a 'militia' and anything that the leadership of that group has a disliking for then becomes a target.

We have seen this time after time and throughtout history, we do not know how we will act in the vacuum of anarchy. That's why I don't like the idea that we as preppers are all the same, we are clearly not, we follow a movement/cause whatever you want to call it...but I'm not anything like many of the people on other UK Prepper forums, DDP or Youtube and Ladies and Gentlemen thankfully neither are you.

When it comes to Johnny Rambo Prepper or the blind star struck sheeple...to me they are just the same obsticles and problems to overcome.
(12 December 2012, 10:54)SealDriver Wrote: [ -> ]I often say to the wife, if the 'SHTF' we will go to ground and avoid people, even other preppers, why? Because with all the norms of life gone and without the law, what fills the gap? A large enough prepper group could become a 'militia' and anything that the leadership of that group has a disliking for then becomes a target.

my thoughts exactly!Big Grin
SD has hit the nail on the head why preppers/survivalists are given a bad press. No state wants it's people/commodity to have freedom of thought, free thinking individuals are the greatest enemy of a regime that needs your total obedience. The state despises our love of free speech and the right to determine our own future as we see fit because it robs them of power over us. The ever increased drive to state surveillance and control over the internet and independant media outlets, as well as increasing police powers to curb freedoms will continue until the population at large decide to resist through civil disobedience. TPTB are relying on the majority of the population "buying into" the conditioning that is so prevelant in all our TV/media/Schools to keep them complient. I come into contact with a lot of people and I am not surprised at the amount of contempt our politicians are held in by them. The Police are now seen by many of our countrymen as nothing more than glorified money collectors, and a private political army who can literally kill you without punishment, the feeling is they no longer serve US. The simple reason our government continues to implement laws to limit our freedom is that they believe the people lack the moral fibre and strength of conviction to stop them.
"none are more hopelessly enslaved than those who believe themselves to be free"
GOETHE
I think people like to bury their heads in the sand in the face of a scary future. Preppers, by their actions, are effectively saying; "Wake up, get your head out of the sand", which will be an unwelcome message for those in denial. Many people don't like to be taken out of their comfort zone. I've seen this with the kids in Scouts. Faced with a challenging activity, such as abseiling, some of them will say it's "boring", or "annoying", when actually what they're saying is; "I'm scared".
Pages: 1 2