Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Food wars
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was a artical in yesterdays Scottish Daily Express.

We all know that food prices are going up at an alarming rate, and they are bound to go up a lot more due to the bad weather the country has gone through in the past year.

The British are usualy a tollorant bunch usualy being able to put up with all sorts of hardships, but its usualy dueing times of war that the `British Bull dog spirit` comes to the for

These days are different, there is a large element of [usualy] young people who will be only too pleased to start a riot over the smallest thing

So,..if costs keep rising, not just food, but the cost of living when are we going to see the first food riots?, are we going to see food riots?,... makes you wonder

Its not a EMI, or a nucular strike,.. not even a dirty bomb, but civil unrest is as much a threat to us all as anything else,... they strike over lack of food, the transport cant get in with what food there is, one man steals from another,...and it spreads, people start to move away from trouble spots, putting more pressure on the food for others.etc, etc

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/3638...inevitable-
I can see this coming about shortly and taking hold very fast, nobody does gardening anymore ...most young people would not have the knowhow anyway...as i go shopping i notice what they are buying...premeals in a box..and mostly sh.t food ...all they know how to do is steal from other,s (the easy option) and think nothing of doing so..the bulldog is dieing....i think of this alot.....this in my view will be the start ...and the norm of things to come...and when my preps run low.....i will be joining in
Imagine a world where we rely on other people to produce breathable air, bottle it and sell it to the masses. "But you don't need to breathe yourself, you can just go to the store and buy it." Food is as essential as oxygen; if you can't get it, you are living on borrowed time, just assuming someone else will be able to provide it for you.

As with any SHTF scenario, food riots will most likely not be an exciting overnight transition where you can just jump to Post-SHTF fantasy land. It will be a slow squeeze, as food is harder and harder to come by, and more people are reliant on food banks. It will be well known in the zeitgeist, with news articles, BBC new segments etc, but when it "Gets real" and people realize that they don't know where they will get their next meal, that's when it gets violent.

Maybe this winter, when people are cut off by the inevitable weather we will get a taste of what is to come.
as the old saying goes we are only 3 meals away from anarchy
Anyone else getting more out of stock items in there supermarket? Mostly veg but other things aswel. Been happening alot recently
Asda had no own make baked beans, Tesco didn't have any own make spag hoops, come to think of it...does anyone still do cheap spag hoops? Havn't seen them in ages, string spag, yes...hoops no.
(13 December 2012, 08:15)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else getting more out of stock items in there supermarket? Mostly veg but other things aswel. Been happening alot recently
yes i notice this more n more ...its a way of getting rid of more expensive brands they cannot sell...to force you to buy the stock....veg....because of the weather is short supply anyway..they have to import more.....higher prices are the result....and its getting worse by the week

A good friend of mine started to run a sally army center....you would not believe what he tells me....food parcels... they cannot keep up with the demand...homeless....people loosing homes..the problems are huge and are NOT reflected in the news.....just the odd report for people to give a donation at xmas....although they are greatfull for all donations...its uphill all year round...my friend works real hard does not switch off ...never seen him so down....i say you care to much....his reply.....i can never care enough.....a real good egg folks not a 9 till 5 man
by the way give what you can to the sally army folks......its put to good use.... believe me
(13 December 2012, 08:15)Metroyeti Wrote: [ -> ]Anyone else getting more out of stock items in there supermarket? Mostly veg but other things aswel. Been happening alot recently

No, and I am only on the other side of the water from you - which supermarkets?

You have to remember also, bad weather as has been said and a lot of shelf space will be getting cleared to get Christmas stuff in.

Ah, Christmas. I love Christmas. By 12 oclock on Christmas eve, all of the turkeys, the geese, the ducks, the ribs of beef and gammons are all price reduced.

If you are brave enough to play Christmas Meat Roulette (not sure if I invented the game but I invented the name) until 3pm, you can buy meat and poultry at sometimes 1/5th of the price. All good for the chest freezer even if you already had something for dinner in.
I do play meat roulette Big Grin
Asda, morrisons,tescos and now my green grocer have all been a bit hit n miss
like BDG says, i have noticed a lot of shelf space in supermarkets is taken up with Christmas cr#p, chocolates and tins of biscuits, go to Lidl or Tescos and look for the offers, we buy most of our tinned food in Lidl 3 weeks out of 4, on the 4th week we go to Tescos and do a big shop.