Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Bio sand filter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Found this and it looks interesting, maybe something we could construct with a wheely bin???

What is a Biosand Filter?

A biosand filter (BSF) is an adaptation of the traditional slow sand filter, which has been used for community drinking water treatment for 200 years. The biosand filter is smaller (about 1 m tall, 0.3 m wide on each side) and adapted so that it does not flow continuously, making it suitable for use in people’s homes. The filter container can be made of concrete or plastic. It is filled with layers of specially selected and prepared sand and gravel. The sand removes pathogens and suspended solids from contaminated drinking water. A biological community of bacteria and other micro-organisms grows in the top 2 cm of sand. This is called the biolayer. The micro-organisms in the biolayer eat many of the pathogens in the water, improving the water treatment.

Pathogens – micro-organisms in water that make us sick

Suspended Solids – dirt and other small pieces in the water (may also be called “turbidity”)

[Image: bsf%201_sm.jpg]

[Image: Image_-_BSF_parts_website.jpg]

How Does the Biosand Filter Work?

You can use any kind of water in the biosand filter – well water, borehole water, pond or river water, tap-stand water, or rainwater. This makes it very convenient for people because they can use whichever water source is closest to home, make it safe to drink. The water must not have been chlorinated though, or the chlorine will kill the biolayer. The water should also not contain any dangerous chemicals, because the biosand filter cannot remove most chemicals from water.

Contaminated water is poured into the top of the biosand filter at least once per day (but not continuously). The water poured into the top of the filter slowly drips through the holes in the diffuser, and flows down through the sand and gravel. Treated water flows out of the outlet tube. No power is required - the filter works by gravity. It should take about 1 hour to get 12-18 litres of filtered drinking water.

Pathogens and suspended solids are removed through biological and physical processes that take place in the sand. These processes include: mechanical trapping, predation, adsorption, and natural death.

[Image: BSF-SS_Indonesia_Sm.jpg]

[Image: Removal_Mechanisms.gif]

What can the biosand filter remove from water?

The biosand filter has been studied in the field and in labs. It has been shown to remove the following from contaminated water:

Up to 100% of helminths (worms)
Up to 100% of protozoa
Up to 98.5% of bacteria
70-99% of viruses

The filter can also remove up to 95% of turbidity (dirt and cloudiness), and up to 95% or iron (which people often don’t like because it turns water, laundry and food red!). Like other filters, the biosand filter cannot remove dissolved contaminants or chemicals, such as salt, arsenic or fluoride. There is an adaptation of the biosand filter using rusty nails, called the Kanchan Filter, which can remove arsenic from water. CAWST has prepared a summary of laboratory and field studies for the biosand filter:

[Image: BSF_Results_Sm.jpg]

The biosand filter is best used as one step in a multi-barrier approach to safe drinking water. Different treatment methods remove different things from contaminated water. Although the water may look clear after filtration, there may still be some bacteria and viruses in the water. It is necessary to also disinfect the filtered water to ensure the safest drinking water possible. The most common low-cost methods used around the world to disinfect drinking water are:

[Image: SODIS.jpg]
Solar disinfection

[Image: Chlorine.jpg]
Chlorine liquid or tablet

[Image: Boiling.jpg]
Boiling

For more information about the biosand filter and other household water treatment options, please see the following documents:
Bio sand construction manual
http://www.cawst.org/en/resources/pubs/t...ementation
Thanks for the info

spoke to SD and he intends to build a sand based filter as a long term solution post SHTF.

I'll possible be looking into it or at least downloading some of the plans on the mani SUK site as well as the ones in the link post above.

a stock of filter candles can only last so long (when I get round to buying some)
An excellent post thank you!Smile
Excellent post. I'm going to put this on the main site.
will make one .......great post
I'll keep posting anything I think will be useful, please feel free to use or dispose of as you see fit.

Glad it's of use, I saw it and thought it seems easy enough to make and we have ready made containers in the wheely bins we have
which by the way most councils provide free if you havent got any so no expense there... ,
I'm making one of these with a small rain barrel, and will be putting up a Youtube vid at some point