Survival UK Forums

Full Version: Quick heads up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
most of the flooding is between Exeter and Tiverton and Barnstaple, railway line is flooded at Cowley Bridge, all rail travel west stops at Exeter St.Davids or Tiverton, from there its take to the buses and they havent got enough drivers to take everyone! where i live its ok no flooding, but i wouldnt want to go for a walk in the fields-would be up to my knees!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20830618
WOOO!!!! This flooding is pretty crazy. Nonstop rain last night! The flood defences are stunningly effective! The road will flood, but there's nothing we can do about that.

Interestingly, one of the major reasons for flooding, aside from the already saturated ground, is that areas up hill are being built upon. That then means that all the water on the hills is running down the roads, into the fields and down hill.

The ground has an amazing capacity to hold LOADS of water, and I really do mean LOADS!!! With the housing, tarmac, concrete, and all the rest, built on the land, it's stopping the absorption of the rain. Instead the water is rushing down hill towards.....us haha (I'm kidding). The water flows into the streams and then just keeps filling them up. Flood defences have been filling up with plants, thus rendering them useless in most places. Put the 2 together, too loads of building and crap flood defences, and you have a potential disaster. All it would take to screw that up would be......oh wait.......it is HAS taken is a very wet few months.

Should have also said, we're fine and enjoying the mini adventure it's causing.
water on hills always flows downhill...water will eventually find its way into rivers, but if those rivers are already swollen any extra water will make it break its banks. one of the most idiotic things i know is all this building on flood plains...absolutely crazy...why dont they think their called "flood plains" ?? some new(18months old) "flood prevention schemes" have already been breached...waste of time and money!Big Grin
Don't forget in the flooded area that the sewers have been flooded as well, so there's sewage in that there water that your paddling in......
Pages: 1 2